Students Applying For a Tutoring Position
1. All tutor applicants must be registered for at least six credit hours each semester at Grand Rapids Community College
2. All tutor applicants must have an instructor recommendation
If you have received a letter in the mail explaining that you have been recommended by your professor to be a tutor, your instructor recommendation has been completed.
If you have not received the letter described above, you will need to secure an instructor recommendation from your current or past professor in the subject area you wish to tutor. The Tutor Recommendation form is available online or can be obtained from the Academic Support & Tutoring Services Office, 2nd floor Library, room 232. Have your professor complete the form and return it to our office.
3. Tutor applicants must have a grade point average (G.P.A.) of 3.00 or higher in the subject area(s) they tutor and an overall G.P.A. of at least 3.00
Tutor applicants who have not established a G.P.A. at GRCC must have attained the following:
- Students transferring from another college must have attained a 3.0 G.P.A. or higher in the subject area(s) they tutor and,
- An overall G.P.A. of at least 3.00 at the original institution attended.
4. All tutor applicants must interview for a tutoring position
Once your instructor recommendation has been completed, please call the Academic Support & Tutoring Services Office at 616-234-4145 or come in to schedule an interview.
5. All tutor applicants must complete subject-specific assessments
Before hired as a tutor, you must complete an assessment in the subject for which you have been recommended.
6. Tutors are required to attend Tutor Training
Once hired, all tutors must attend tutor trainings prior to meeting with students.
Please feel free to contact the Academic Support & Tutoring Services Office if you have any questions regarding the application procedure.