Executive Deputy to the President and Board Liaison
February 5, 2013 GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Significant job growth has been predicted in computer related fields and Grand Rapids Community College’s Computer Applications Career Exploration Fair is holding a Career Exploration Fair for high school students, college students and community members to learn more.
The event will be held on February 13, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., in the Wisner Botrall Applied Technology Center, 151 Fountain St NE. The day will include:
- local business people and companies — including Kelly IT, MLive, Johnson Controls, OST, Paragon and Steelcase — showcasing careers in computer fields.
- hands-on experiences that highlight an array of opportunities with computers.
- GRCC academic counselors.
- GRCC Computer Applications Department faculty.
- transfer institutions, such as Davenport, Ferris State, and Grand Valley State universities.
- representatives from the military with technical specializations who will discuss information security paths.
“The newest degree in computer applications —one that can be taken completely online — is Information Security, a growing career opportunity in both government and private business sectors,” said Luann Keizer GRCC Computer Applications Professor and event organizer.
“Computer systems analyst, network systems and communications analyst, and computer software engineer are all listed on Michigan’s Hot 50 Careers. You attract employers in these fields with GRCC degrees in Networking, Programming, Computer Applications and Information Security.”
State employment forecasts predict 8.9 percent and 9 percent growth rates, respectively, in graphic designers and multimedia artists. Prepare for these promising careers with GRCC degrees in Web Design and Digital Graphics.
Grand Rapids Community College, established in 1914, offers opportunities for over 30,000 students annually in degree courses, certification and training programs, workshops and personal enrichment classes. GRCC holds classes on the downtown Grand Rapids campus as well as several additional locations throughout Kent and Ottawa counties.