Grand Rapids Community College’s Secchia Institute for Culinary Education will welcome teams of student chefs from Barbados, Canada, Mexico, Scotland and Puerto Rico to its kitchens October 20-22 to vie for a chance to take the Nations Cup away from Team USA.
The biennial event is structured like the “Iron Chef” TV show, where competitors are presented with mystery ingredients and given a limited amount of time to turn them into five-star gourmet fare. The students are judged on a variety of factors including presentation, taste, time, the amount of waste they produce, and how well they collaborate with their fellow competitors.
Said Dan Gendler, Director of the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education “We have been excitedly anticipating the visiting competitors knowing that it signals the beginning of a significant learning opportunity through friendly competition. Good luck to all teams as they pursue culinary excellence!"
An all-star panel of judges has been assembled for the competition:
- From Scotland: Ian MacDonald, Executive Chef at St. Andrews Links Trust
- From the USA: Joel Boone, Executive Chef
- From Austria: Josef Huber, Executive Chef at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel
- From Mexico: Josue Villalvazo, Director General de ICUM Campus Monterrey
The pinnacle of the event is Saturday October 22, 2011. Each team will prepare 110 portions of one course representing their regional cuisines during a sold-out dinner that will raise money for the international culinary competition team.
Grand Rapids Community College, established in 1914, offers opportunities for over 32,000 students annually in degree courses, certification and training programs, workshops and personal enrichment classes. GRCC holds classes on the downtown Grand Rapids campus as well as several additional locations throughout Kent and Ottawa counties. The mission of the GRCC Foundation is to secure and manage financial gifts to support and promote student, employee and community learning, enabling the College to fulfill its mission and vision.
Thursday, October 20, 2011
- 8:00–9:30am Mystery Box Hot/Cold Appetizer Competition
- 10:40am–12:10pm Mystery Box Hot Pasta Competition
- 1:50pm–3:50pm Mystery Box Fish/ShellfishEntrée Competition
Friday, October 21, 2011
- 8:00-10:00am Mystery Box Meat/Game Competition
- 11:00am–1:00pm MysteryBox Poultry Entrée
- 3:00–5:00pm MysteryBox Hot and Cold Dessert
Saturday, October 22, 2011
- 6:00–9:00pm National Dish Dinner and Awards Ceremony