Grand Rapids Community College and the GRCC Faculty Association announced today that a tentative contract agreement has been reached by both sides.
“This agreement lays the foundation for the long-term fiscal health of the college, and I commend the negotiation teams for their diligence in making this happen,” said GRCC President Steven Ender.
The agreement calls for a 5-year contract with the Faculty Association. Key highlights of the agreement include:
- A 5-year freeze of current salary schedule
- The salary schedule will eliminate annual step increases
- Future pay increases will be based on demonstrated exemplary performance; the first opportunity for performance promotion for eligible faculty will be in 2014
- Current faculty will retain their current pay
- Current adjuncts will retain their current rate of pay; new adjuncts will be paid $937 per contact hour
- The overload rate for current faculty will be frozen at the current rate for the length of the contract
- New permanent full time faculty overload rate will be at $937 per contact hour
Faculty Association President Frederick van Hartesveldt said he is pleased overall with this agreement. “This was a joint problem-solving, non-adversarial effort,” he said. “It really showed due diligence on everyone’s behalf and an important commitment to getting this done so we can continue our primary mission of serving our students.”
The faculty contract expired in August 2011.
“I’m delighted about the collaborative approach taken to reach this contract agreement,” said Ender. “The effort on behalf of the Faculty Association that allowed us to get here truly demonstrates our faculty’s commitment to the college and the community.”
The tentative contract agreement still needs to be ratified by the GRCC Board of Trustees and the Faculty Association and will take effect upon ratification retroactive to August 30, 2011.
Grand Rapids Community College, established in 1914, offers opportunities for over 32,000 students annually in degree courses, certification and training programs, workshops and personal enrichment classes. GRCC holds classes on the downtown Grand Rapids campus as well as several additional locations throughout Kent and Ottawa counties.