Executive Deputy to the President and Board Liaison
(616) 234-3908 email@example.com
February 18, 2013 GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Grand Rapids Community College’s chapter of the Michigan Business Professionals of America competed at the Michigan BPA 2013 conference the second weekend in February and received more first-place finishes than any other college in the competition.
“The diligence of our students’ preparations were modeled throughout the competition and resulted in a record-setting number of BPA National qualifiers,” said Peg Schoenborn, adviser to the Business Department chapter and assistant professor of Office Administration.
Twenty-one GRCC students placed Saturday – with more first-place finishes than any other college in the competition.
First place titles were awarded to the following GRCC students:
- Administrative Support Concepts – Beth Steimel
- Administrative Support Team – Kathy Davey, Sally Kulikamp, Beth Steimel and Kristy VanWagner
- Advanced College Accounting – Eric Hren
- Basic Office and Procedures – Leyda Cruz
- Business Meeting Management – Derrek Saxton
- Digital Media Production – Alexi Bettig
- Federal Income Tax Accounting – Shana Wheeler
- Interview Skills – Jahaun McKinley
- Entrepreneurship – Corwin Tobias
- Video Production Team – Alexi Bettig, Corwin Tobias, Jinna Castillo and David Colbert
GRCC students also took state titles in the following events:
- Administrative Support Team of Fata Cesko, Leyda Cruz, Ana Kraker and Samantha See
- Advanced Word Processing and Integrated Office Applications - Jamie Curtis
- Fundamental Word Processing and Basic Office Procedures - Kathy Davey
- Financial Analyst Team of Eric Hren, Jacob Reeds and Shana Wheeler
- Financial Math & Analysis - Eric Hren
- Contemporary Issues and Prepared Speech - Jacob Reeds
- Graphic Design Promotion - Jaimee Schouwink
- Computerized Accounting - Shana Wheeler
- Fundamental Word Processing - Leyda Cruz
- Advanced Interview Skills - Sally Kulikamp
- Basic Office Systems - Samantha See
- Web Design - Jason Fedewa
- Basic Office Systems & Procedures - Ana Kraker
- Medical Office Procedures- Alisha Miller
“The energy and professionalism of our students was so impressive – a reflection of their interactions with our talented and nurturing faculty, staff and administration here at GRCC,” said Schoenborn.
Students faced competitors from nine other Michigan post-secondary institutions: Baker College of Muskegon, Central Michigan University, Davenport University-Grand Rapids, Davenport University-Holland, Davenport University-Kalamazoo, Lake Michigan College, Montcalm Community College, Northern Michigan University and Northwood University.
GRCC’s Business Department is hosting a Career Showcase today and tomorrow for current GRCC students. Sessions, which last approximately 30 minutes, will be offered at 9 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. on both days. All students who attend will be included in a drawing for prizes -- including a $500 scholarship at GRCC next semester.
Grand Rapids Community College, established in 1914, offers opportunities for over 30,000 students annually in degree courses, certification and training programs, workshops and personal enrichment classes. GRCC holds classes on the downtown Grand Rapids campus as well as several additional locations throughout Kent and Ottawa counties.