Main Navigation Menu

Faculty Resources

The information contained in this brochure will assist you and your students in having a successful year. We encourage you to keep this handy, but if you have questions, please contact your department/program office.


Did I set up my E-mail?

E-mail is the primary mode for communication at GRCC. All important information will come to you via that medium. All faculty members are expected to have an active GRCC e-mail box and to check it regularly. If you have not yet set up your GRCC e-mail box or need instructions regarding forwarding e-mail to a different e-mail box, please contact your Educational Support Professional (ESP).

Did I set up my Voicemail?

You may request a voicemail extension here on campus. This will be a place for students to leave messages for you only. If you would like a voicemail, request it through your ESP. If you decide not to get a voicemail you should have another way for students to contact you via phone. Some instructors give out their home, office, or cell numbers. If you do not feel comfortable doing that please request a voicemail so students can connect with you.

You will need to set-up your voicemail once you have received your phone number. For CISCO phones, adjunct must press the * key after the voice mail system answers so it will prompt them for their extension; to access voicemail off campus dial (616) 234-3050.

To dial an outside number while on campus, press nine and then the number. To reach another office on campus you only need to dial the last four digits of the number.

Did I locate my Mailbox?

It is your responsibility to check departmental mailboxes, as there are important items that are mailed that need attention, i.e. student evaluation questionnaires.

Did I get my RaiderCard?

You can get your RaiderCard at Student Life (1st floor, Student Center) or other on and off campus locations; visit for a list of locations. This card is your campus ID and is needed for parking and using the copy machine. You are requested to wear your ID at all times on campus. ID's must also be worn at all off campus locations, especially at high schools.

Did I locate where to Park?

You will be assigned a parking ramp by Campus Police. Most likely it will be in the Bostwick Ramp (you enter off of Fountain). You will need to pick up your parking tag from Campus Police when you pick up your keys. Faculty and students are not allowed to park under the Applied Technology Center or College Park Plaza.

Did I get my Keys?

Once you have been hired and have been entered into PeopleSoft, keys will be requested for you by the ESP in your respective department. You will receive keys to your classroom as well as your academic department office for access to your mailbox and copier. Once the request is processed, Campus Police will contact you via your GRCC e-mail address to let you know they are ready for pick-up. You must pick these up yourself as you will need to sign for them. Campus Police is located at the northwest corner of Lyon and Bostwick.

Did I sign my Faculty Information Form (FIF)?

Your Department Head or ESP will distribute FIFs. Please review carefully all of the information on your FIF, then sign and return the form immediately. Mark any corrections on the form. Since this form is your official agreement with the College and it is also used to produce your payroll, it must be complete, accurate and legible – address, home phone number and degree verification are also REQUIRED. Your accurate and timely paycheck depends on it. PLEASE double-check your “degree level” listed. If you are new or have recently earned a higher degree, HR must receive your official transcripts in order for payroll to be correctly processed. If your transcripts are not on file, you will be paid at a lower rate and your increase will be effective beginning the following semester.

Do I know how to report my Absence?

Faculty absences must be reported as follows:

  • Call (616) 234-3909 by 7:00 a.m. to report daytime absences
  • Call (616) 234-3909 by 3:00 p.m. to report evening absences
  • Call (616) 234-3909 by 7:30 a.m. to report absences for Saturday classes
  • Call (616) 234-3909 to report absences for Sunday classes (Noon–5:00 p.m.)

Day and evening absences will be posted around campus and on the College website. If you are teaching off-campus, you also need to notify the host school regarding your absence so that proper posting and notification can be done.

All faculty members are encouraged to use Blackboard to notify students when they are absent and to communicate their instructions about assignments students need to complete.

A. Overload Absences for Full-Time Faculty

For a class that is entirely overload, a faculty member shall be granted one class period of sick leave pay for each time per week the class meets. These sick leaves are granted each semester and are not cumulative.

Faculty members who exceed their paid sick leave entitlement each semester will have their overload pay reduced to reflect the excess absences.

If you call in sick, you will be considered absent from all scheduled classes unless you state the specific classes you meet with that day.

Reductions in pay for overload absences may not be made in the same pay period that the absence occurred. Deductions will be completed no later than the last pay period for the semester in which the absences occurred.

B. Part-Time/Adjunct Faculty

Part-time/adjunct faculty shall be granted one class period leave with pay for each time per week a class meets. These sick leaves are granted each semester and are not cumulative.

Part-time/adjunct faculty members who exceed their paid sick leave entitlement each semester will have their pay reduced to reflect the excess absences.

If you call in sick, you will be considered absent from all scheduled classes unless you state the specific classes you meet with that day.

Reductions in pay for absences may not be made in the same pay period that the absence occurred. Deductions will be completed no later than the last pay period for the semester in which the absences occurred.

Do I know how to request a Leave of Absence?

If you are going to attend meetings and other College-related functions off campus, including class trips, you must complete an application for Leave of Absence Form at least five (5) days before the actual absence. We cannot approve requests for a leave of absence after the fact. If you are requesting an expense reimbursement, the approved Leave of Absence form must be on file; otherwise, the reimbursement cannot be approved. Expense reimbursements (especially if grant-funded) should be submitted within 30 days after the activity.

Do I know where to go for Professional Development?

Grand Rapids Community College's Center for Teaching Excellence is the primary provider of faculty professional development opportunities for all full-time and adjunct faculty. Our faculty-led opportunities include one-on-one assistance, small-group workshops, webinars, and online “just in time” resources. The Center's programs include professional development that focuses on traditional and innovative pedagogies, academic service learning, curriculum development, assessment of student learning, and other practices that support the scholarship of teaching and learning. The Center also assists faculty in making community connections to guest speakers and other colleagues who seek opportunities for collaboration. Additionally, the Center invites suggestions and requests for small-group and departmental professional development activities. The CTE is located on the third floor of the Main Building and offerings are listed at

Technology & Teaching

Did I access Blackboard (GRCC Online Learning Center)?

Faculty Commitment: By no later than the second semester of teaching, each faculty member will, at a minimum, use the Blackboard Course Management System to provide students with the course syllabus and faculty contact information. Use of the Blackboard Grade Center to provide regular feedback (where appropriate) is strongly encouraged.

Institutional Commitment: To support this Faculty Commitment, GRCC will provide each teaching faculty member with access to appropriate technology, training for its use, adequate system capacity, and timely technical trouble-shooting.

Blackboard is an easy and effective way for professors to: share course materials online, communicate with students, send and receive assignments, post grades and feedback, and more. Using Blackboard contributes to student success and retention, saves time, reduces paper and printing costs, and provides links to a wealth of academic resources. Additionally, feedback from students surveys reveal that students consider Blackboard extremely useful in helping them organize their work, get feedback, access grades, connect with their instructors, collaborate with their fellow classmates, and access course materials. To access Blackboard, simply login with your campus username and password at: If you would like to learn more about using Blackboard in your courses, you may attend a training session through the Center for Teaching Excellence or access a wide array of online support resources available on the Help tab in Blackboard. Professors may also e-mail the Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies Department at for assistance and/or visit

Do I know how to use Classroom Technology?

For emergency assistance with technology, contact the IT Help Desk at (616) 234-3688. If you are teaching a class that depends heavily on technology, it is recommended that you have a back-up plan if the technology in the classroom becomes unavailable.

Do I know where to go for Instructional Technology support?

The office of Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies (DLIT) is located in 316 Main. DLIT provides instructional technology training, resources, and support for faculty. Additionally, DLIT provides training and support in the development and delivery of Online and Hybrid courses. The DLIT team can assist with Blackboard questions as well as the use of other instructional technologies.

For more information, please visit DLIT on the web at or e-mail the department for assistance, training, or support at If you are experiencing a technical problem, error messages, etc. with Blackboard, classroom technology, or your desktop/laptop, please contact the IT Help Desk at


Do I know where to find the Academic Calendar?

The academic calendar can be found on-line at This calendar has important dates for the current semester.

Did I submit my Syllabus?

Please submit an electronic copy of your course syllabus to your Department ESP within the first two weeks of the semester and to Blackboard. Your students should receive your syllabus during the first class session. Advise your students of exactly what they can expect from you, and exactly what you will expect from them to achieve successful completion of the course. For a syllabus template, visit

Do I have my Textbook(s)?

Information regarding ordering textbooks, course packs, instructional materials and supplies can be found at

The Bookstore's hours of operation and textbook return information can be found at You may want to inform students, particularly those in the evening, weekend, and off-campus classes, that they may order their books online. For information, call the GRCC Bookstore at (616) 234-3880.

Did I Copy my Course Materials?

Please post your materials on Blackboard for students to review and then decide which materials would be beneficial for students to have as a paper copy to ensure successful learning.

To make copies on the copier in the office, you will need your Raider Card or you will need to log-in to the machine using your GRCC log-in and password. You are asked to not make more than 25 sheets of paper per project on the office copier. Copies exceeding this amount should be sent to GRCCePRINT for copying. Semester start-up is busy so plan ahead as this option may take more than 24 hours during this time.

Printing Services website is: Under the ‘Links” there are several videos on how to use the GRCCePRINT online ordering system. Please review the proper videos before you register and place an order. GRCCePRINT has different times for delivery depending on your location so check the GRCCePRINT web site for your delivery location time.

Did I get Copyright permission?

Copyright Laws of the United States (Title 17 U.S. Code) govern the use of copyrighted materials and making copies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Although we are an educational site, the doctrine of “Fair Use” does not relieve GRCC of the responsibility to obtain permission for each use. GRCC policy endorses strict compliance with the law, and GRCC provides resources to assist you with compliance.

If you personally have obtained written permission to use specific material, please keep the permission in your records and include copies with your course pack order to Printing Services. If you do not have legal permission, Printing Services will work with you to obtain appropriate permission. To obtain permission to use any copyrighted materials in a course pack or as a handout, you must submit a full bibliography for each piece of material used, including:

  • Author(s)/translator/editor
  • Book/journal title
  • Chapter and article title
  • Exact page numbers needed and where it appears in the course pack
  • Publisher name
  • Most recent date of publication

Forms for submitting bibliographic information are available from the Copyright website at

The Library & Learning Commons staff will be happy to assist you with the ascertainment of precise bibliographic data and provide training on compliance with copyright law, as well as training on the basics of Copyright Law and Fair Use.

Do I know how to administer Final Exams?

Faculty who teach day classes are required to be in the classroom during the designated final exam time as listed on the Day Exam Schedule, regardless if a final exam is administered. This schedule is given to serve our students. Faculty teaching evening classes are required to be in the classroom the last evening the class meets which is designated as the end date of the class, regardless if a final exam is administered. Evening classes are any class that ends after 5:00 p.m.

Do I know how to take Attendance?

You must take attendance at your first class session. Check your class roster often, especially the first day of class, on count date, and whenever a new student appears. No students should be allowed in your class if they are not listed on your class roster. Inform the student that he or she must go to the Associate Dean's Office, if they are not on your class roster. Student attendance policies can be found at (policy 8.8).

Did I access my Class Lists?

You may access your class list/grade roster via the Online Faculty Center at any time. Students on the class list/grade roster are the only students who have registered and paid for the class and therefore allowed to be in the class. To access the Online Faculty Center go to and click on Online Center Login and type in your user name (your user name is a capital W plus your employee ID) and password.

Did I review Early Alert?

Increasing student success and improving retention is a priority that is shared across the institution at GRCC. Advisors, counselors, professors, staff, and the students themselves all play a role in contributing to enriching people's lives and contributing to the vitality of the Community (GRCC's Vision).

Visit for more details to assist students to succeed.

Did I establish Office Hours?

Teaching faculty (full-time) must be on campus a minimum of five (5) office hours per week (for student consultation) in addition to the faculty member's normal teaching load. These hours should be in both a.m. and p.m. modules and in locations accessible to your students.

To best serve our students, office hours should be scheduled in units of no less than 30 minutes in length, posted for easy student viewing, and adhered to. This schedule should be submitted to the appropriate department support staff upon his/her request. If you will not be in your announced location during these hours, you must communicate the new location by posting a notice in a conspicuous location.

Faculty should also be available on campus additional times each week for preparation and attendance at meetings related to their responsibilities as full-time faculty members, as scheduled by their Dean, Associate Deans, or Department Head/Program Director.

Office hours allow students the opportunity to reach instructors to ask questions, consider their future, or discuss projects outside class time. Adjunct faculty are encouraged to keep office hours on a ratio of one office hour for every three class hours. Students deserve the service of the institution. Please list your office location and office hours on your syllabus. Please also provide office hours to your ESP.

Did I Check my Classroom?

There are three ways to check your scheduled classroom:

  1. You can view a photo of your classroom by going to the following website:
    2. Click on View CWEST Calendar
    3. Click on “Lookup”
    4. Enter your classroom (e.g. ATC 113) in the space name field
    5. Click on ATC 113 under the space name
  2. Capacity Cards are located in all classrooms indicating the number of seats for the room. If you find furniture missing or in need of repair, contact the office of your Associate Dean of Operations.
  3. For non-technology classroom concerns, please contact the office of your Associate Dean of Operations.

Do I know how to use the Classroom Phone?

Classroom phones are placed in each classroom for support and emergency purposes. Classroom phones should remain active or “on the hook” at all times. These phones are equipped to make local calls only.

Abusive use of classroom phones should be reported to Campus Police. Classroom phones are equipped with a “CODE 2” button, which will immediately connect you with Campus Police, if necessary. Dispatch will answer, and can immediately identify the classroom you are calling from in the event of a classroom emergency.

Classroom phones are also used for the Emergency Phone Alert system, which will broadcast a message in the event of an emergency.

*NOTE – “CODE 2” is not available at off-campus locations.

Do I know the Classroom Door Guidelines?

Grand Rapids Community College guidelines state that faculty should keep their classroom doors locked from the outside and closed while class is in session. The reasons for this are two-fold: first, this practice helps ensure the safety of students and employees in the event of an emergency situation on campus; and second, this practice helps the college conserve energy in pursuit of its goals as an environmentally-sustainable institution.

Do I know how to Change Classrooms?

To avoid potential conflicts, you must not change rooms. If you have a need to change rooms, contact the office of your Associate Dean of Operations. The Associate Dean of Operations will consider your request. If your class is going to meet anywhere other than your assigned classroom, you must notify the office of your Associate Dean of Operations.

Do I know how to arrange for a Guest Speaker?

Faculty members must seek approval from the appropriate Associate Dean of Operations for all guest speakers one week in advance via e-mail or via a Classroom Speaker Request Form located at

Do I know how to get Driving Clearance?

Any staff member who wishes to use a college vehicle to transport students or other college employees to an off-campus destination must submit a College Vehicle Driving Form to receive clearance to drive the vehicles. The forms can be obtained online at Please plan on submitting the form 30 days prior to your departure date. These forms are sent to the Michigan State Police for clearance. The return of information takes approximately three to four weeks.

Institutional Policies

Do I know the institution's Academic Standards?

The GRCC faculty member:

  1. Maintains current content knowledge.
    1. Demonstrates current knowledge and practice in the discipline.
    2. Shares knowledge to help students anticipate future trends.
    3. Teaching practices are based on research in teaching and current literature.
  2. Promotes an environment conducive to learning.
    1. Uses the learning environment to promote faculty-student and student-student interaction.
    2. Adapts the environment to meet the needs of the course.
    3. Cultivates relationships to ensure respect, caring, and rapport with students.
    4. Creates an environment in which students are comfortable asking questions, stating opinions, challenging ideas/content.
    5. Assesses students' background, culture, needs, aspirations, goals.
    6. Manages conflict and differences of opinions.
  3. Designs courses to promote learning and success for students.
    1. Assesses students' initial knowledge and needs.
    2. Clearly defines the course objectives and expectations for both faculty member and students.
    3. Teaches to course objectives.
    4. Assesses student achievement of outcomes and/or experience
    5. Provides timely feedback to students.
    6. Provides opportunities for student feedback to faculty member.
  4. Establishes a professional relationship with students and between students.
    1. Demonstrates authenticity in his/her interactions with students.
    2. Encourages students to be authentic and able to express themselves.
    3. Demonstrates compassion and encourages students to demonstrate compassion.
    4. Accepts others and their viewpoints and lifestyles in the learning environment.
    5. Knows his/her own strengths and areas for improvement.
    6. Encourages students to recognize their own strengths and areas for improvement
    7. Recognizes strengths of students and helps them capitalize on them
    8. Cares about students and their success in the classroom and in life.
  5. Creates and maintains a community of learners.
    1. Supports colleagues in his/her own Department or Program.
    2. Communicates and interacts constructively with those in other Departments and Programs.
    3. Values contributions of all College staff.
    4. Recognizes and acknowledges colleagues' strengths and accomplishments.
    5. Shares expertise and resources with colleagues.
    6. Takes responsibility for the whole; supports consensus decisions and actions
    7. Collaborates with community partners to enhance learning experiences.

Do I know about FERPA?

FERPA stands for Federal Right to Privacy Act. Please be familiar with this act as there is very little information you can give to a student's family, friends or other students. FERPA policy can be viewed at The policy number is 8.6.

Do I know about accommodations for students with Disabilities?

Grand Rapids Community College is fully committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities for students with disabilities as mandated by federal law. Please be aware that as a faculty member you are required to make and/or permit reasonable accommodations with regard to all aspects of the learning environment. Failure to do so could result in an Office of Civil Rights investigation or legal action.

It is strongly recommended that the following statement be placed in your syllabus:

“Students with disabilities who wish to request accommodations must be registered with the Disability Support Services (DSS) Office in Room 368 of the Student Center. You may contact them at (616) 234-4140 or (616) 234-4155 for more information. Once you are registered with the DSS Office, you will be given an Accommodations Agreement to present to me to verify your registration. Please see me as soon as possible so we may have a private conversation to discuss accommodations”.

Do I know the institution's Credit Hour Definition?

A credit hour gives value to an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement of those outcomes. A credit hour requires a minimum of one hour of direct faculty instruction and two hours of out-of-class student work each week for the equivalent of fourteen weeks.

Many academic experiences are integral to courses or programs because they allow students to practice and apply their learning in the laboratory, studio or workplace. Each of these requires additional contact hours to earn a credit hour.

  • Clinicals require a minimum of 1.75 hours of student participation each week for the equivalent of fourteen weeks for each credit hour.
  • Laboratories, Music Ensembles, Studios, Practica, Internships, and Fieldwork require a minimum of 2 hours of student participation each week for the equivalent of fourteen weeks for each credit hour.
  • Co-ops require a minimum of 5 hours of student participation each week for the equivalent of fourteen weeks for each credit hour.
  • Lecture/Labs are a way to implement an instructional strategy particular to a discipline. The department/program defines the credit hour/contact hour ratio according to the type of work required of students to meet the outcomes of those courses.

Do I know the institution's Grading requirements?

If you are not using the “gradebook” on Blackboard, grade books are available from your ESP. Grades must be submitted via the Online Faculty Center. All grades are due within 72 hours of the completion of the course regardless if you have an early ending class. Please contact IT Help with password or login concerns.


Incomplete Grades (I)

A student may request an “I” (Incomplete) from an instructor. The “I” will be assigned only when the student: a) has done satisfactory work in the course; and (b) in the instructor’s judgment, can complete the required work without repeating the course. 1. If the proceeding conditions are met, the instructor electing to give an “I” should complete an Incomplete Grade Form at the time course grades are due. This form will indicate actions the student will undertake to finish the course, when those actions will take place, and the grade to be given (A, B, C, D, E) should the work not be completed. Both the student and instructor will sign the form. Copies will be provided to the Registrar, the student, and the instructor. If an instructor does not submit an Incomplete Grade Form or complete a grade, the “I’ will default to a grade of “E” one year from the end date of the class. 2. All incomplete course work will be finished by the date indicated on the Incomplete Grade Form, but not to exceed one calendar year. 3. If the student is not satisfied with the decision of the instructor, or in the event of further unforeseen, extreme or unusual circumstances, a written appeal for an extension can be made to the Dean or Associate Dean of the School.


Audit (V Grade)

Students may choose to receive a grade of “audit” (V) for classes in which they enroll. Audit status does not count toward full-time enrollment. Students pay full tuition for classes they audit and are expected to participate in all class activities. However, they are not compelled to take tests or examinations or to write term papers, but they may do so voluntarily. Students must declare their audit status to their instructor during the first 25% of the class.

Students may make arrangements on an individual basis with their instructor to change from audit to credit status. If they do so, they must take all tests and examinations and write all assigned papers.



Students may drop a class and receive a “W” until the date of 70% of class completion, as noted on the instructor’s class roster. Students must initiate all drops, using the online center or in person at the Enrollment Center.

Instructors may not assign a “W” as a grade. Students will not be able to initiate a drop (W) and receive a “W” during the final 30% of the class; they will receive, based upon graded and missed work, the grade they have earned (A, B, C, D, E)There is no penalty to the student’s GPA for receiving a W in the Grand Rapids Community College grading system. Transfer institutions may have policies governing the impact of W, grades at their institutions.

Financial Aid Participation Confirmation

Faculty should confirm participation for individual students in each of their classes per the dates provided by Financial Aid for each semester. It is important that this process be completed within the provided time frame because only students with confirmations in all classes will be eligible for financial aid disbursement. For additional information regarding this process, contact the Associate Dean of Operations in your respective area.

Please note that all faculty are required to list the students' “last date of participation” for all "E's” in their grade records. The College is required by law to certify student participation so that GRCC students may qualify for federal financial aid and/or veteran benefits. There are financial consequences to the College for not maintaining and producing such records. Therefore, it is important that you have a method to track student participation.

*Please see catalog for complete grading policy.

Did I review the Code of Conduct?

The Code of Conduct clearly outlines your rights and responsibilities in regards to academic honesty and classroom conduct. The code can be found at If you note behaviors or behaviors of concern on campus, please contact the Conduct Office at (616) 234-3531 or GRCC Police Department at (616) 234-4010.

In this work, the College has selected Starfish EARLY ALERT from Starfish Retention Solutions Inc. to provide the ability for professors to raise flags (concerns) for students that are at risk. In addition, automated flags can be raised based on data in Blackboard such as not logging into an online course. These flags can be raised for a wide array of factors that can affect a student's retention and success. To use Early Alert, log into Blackboard and select the Early Alert tab. Additional information on using Early Alert can be found there.

Do I know about the institution's Ethics/EEO procedures?

This system has been designed to provide students, staff, and members of the community with multiple means of reporting concerns regarding possible ethics violations. Every person has a responsibility to report facts giving rise to possible ethics violations to enable the college to conduct a prompt investigation and implement a timely and appropriate response. This system has been designed to ensure that reporting ethics concerns can be done easily and with assurance of confidentiality to the extent allowable under the law.

Anyone who has reason to believe that an ethics violation has occurred should immediately report known facts in one of the ways listed below. When reporting a violation, it is important to include the following information:

  • Explain the facts of the incident
  • Provide the name of the alleged offender
  • Give the date the incident occurred
  • Optional: Provide a contact name, number, and e-mail to allow for confidential follow up.
  • Reporting Options (It is not necessary to provide a name when making a report.)
  • Contact the GRCC Ethics Hotline at (616) 234-3169
  • Report Information to a staff member of the Human Resources Department (ext. 3972)
  • Report the incident to Campus Police (ext. 4010)
  • Report incidents regarding students to any of the above or the Dean of Student Affairs (ext. 3925)
  • Send a written statement of facts to the Office of the General Counsel (please note on envelope: Ethics Officer)

Do I know where to locate Institutional Policies?

GRCC policies are located at

Do I know about the Institutional Review Board for Research at GRCC?

GRCC staff, faculty, and students are increasingly being asked to participate in research projects. In addition, in the course of pursuing advanced degrees, some staff members are using GRCC as the site for research projects to fulfill course requirements. To monitor the research conducted at the College, to ensure that College students and personnel are treated with the respect and care outlined by the American Psychological Association guidelines for research with human subjects, and to maintain the integrity of the institution, proposals for all research projects conducted on the GRCC campus involving its students, faculty or staff must be submitted to and approved by the GRCC Institutional Review Board for Research at GRCC. Please contact Donna Kragt, Dean of Institutional Research & Planning, at (616) 234-4044 or for details or visit the website at

Do I know that GRCC is Tobacco Free?

Effective November 20, 2008, Grand Rapids Community College officially became a tobacco-free campus at all locations.

Do I know about the institution's Energy Conservation efforts?

Grand Rapids Community College understands the effect of energy consumption on both the environment and the budget. With the cost of energy rising and environmental concerns growing, the college is proactively limiting energy consumption whenever and wherever possible. The energy conservation program is designed to reduce utility energy consumption primarily when buildings are unoccupied. However, it also seeks to make students, faculty and staff more conscientious with conservation procedures for thermostats, lighting, computers and other resource-consuming systems. By all of us working together, GRCC can become a model of thoughtful stewardship, not only of natural resources and the environment, but also taxpayer and tuition dollars. Visit for energy guidelines, which outline methods and procedures to reduce energy consumption in campus buildings.

Emergency Contact Information

Did I activate Emergency Text Messaging Alerts?

GRCC offers a text message service to notify students and employees in emergency situations and other important notifications. Now you can be notified anytime, anywhere when GRCC is closed or other critical announcements via your mobile phone. For instructions on how to activate this service, visit

Do I know how to contact Campus Police?

The Campus Police office is located in room 25 Lyon. The phone number is (616) 234-4010 and the office hours are:

  • Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
  • Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
  • Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
  • Sunday, 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

If you have an emergency, please call 4911, which will ring directly into Campus Police.

If you need to contact Campus Police, the dispatcher is reached at (616) 234-4010. There is also a phone in each classroom for emergencies with students or equipment problems. You may press CODE 2 in a police-emergency. Campus Police will be able to hear what is going on in the classroom and respond.

Do I know what to do in the Event of an Emergency?

In the event of an emergency, there are several methods the GRCC Crisis Management and Response Teams will deploy to communicate with faculty and students. The primary method for classroom communication will be:

Emergency Phone Alert System

Classroom and office phones will broadcast an emergency alert message twice. Please listen for emergency instructions and assist your students if you are in a classroom.

Other Communications Methods for Emergencies Include:

  1. All-staff e-mail messages
  2. Pop-up messages on computer network stations
  3. In-person notification by Crisis Response Team members
  4. Messages on the College web site:
  5. Messages on campus TV monitors
  6. Text messaging
  7. College phone switchboard
  8. If appropriate, local media outlets and college cable channel 28

Ongoing Emergency Information Plans and Procedures can be found on the GRCC website under Raider Safety.

Do I know the institution's Inclement Weather Policy?

When GRCC closes due to inclement weather, the campus is closed for everyone. Please assist in making students aware that if GRCC is closed, no services will be provided or available to them. Let your students know that they can call (616) 234-GRCC after 6 a.m., or check for information about closing due to inclement weather. Closure of the Lakeshore Campus will be decided and communicated separately. Due to the proximity to Lake Michigan, weather conditions can be quite different at that campus.

Off Campus/Regional Sites

Do I know about teaching at Regional Centers?

For information on the various locations and services of our regional centers please visit

Do I know about teaching at Sneden Hall/DeVos Campus?

Here are some things to know about teaching at Sneden Hall:

  • All classrooms have technology that includes a digital projector, a computer and a connection for a laptop computer, a DVD player, and a sound system. All rooms have wireless capability and have ac
  • Two classrooms (203 and 303) are designed specifically to support active learning strategies. In addition to the presentation technology found in the other classrooms, these two classrooms have the ability to visualize projections on three surfaces, have smart board technology, “huddle” boards, and a unique furniture arrangement that promotes student-to-student and student-to-faculty interaction.
  • The computer laboratory for Sneden Hall is in Room 215/217. It has the capacity to meet the needs for 36 students.
  • Adjunct faculty for all departments share office space in Room 116 Sneden. Shared computers, phones, printing and copying are available in that office space. Access to the room is by Raider card. Parking for adjunct faculty is in the surface lot to the north of the Administrative Building. A GRCC tag is necessary to avoid expensive parking fines. Request parking access through Human Resources.
  • Classroom keys for Sneden Hall are different than the keys for other buildings. Keys should be requested through your department support professional.
  • Food service is available between approximately 7:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Vending machines are available in the cafeteria area.
  • Student Success & Retention and the Upward Bound program are located in Sneden Hall. Human Resources, Business and Financial Services, and Employee Professional Development are located in the Administration Building adjacent to Sneden Hall.

Do I know about teaching at the Lakeshore Campus?

  • Keys are not issued but buildings and rooms will be opened automatically prior to the start of classes each day. If you find that your room has not been unlocked please see a front desk staff member for classroom access.
  • Most facilities have a computer lab or laptop cart that can be reserved. Please contact your building's Support Professional if you would like to reserve a lab for your class. Prior notice is required. All computers have access to the internet. Each classroom is equipped with whiteboards, and DVD/VHS projector systems. If you have additional equipment needs or are in need of any technology assistance, advanced notification is required. To make a request, please contact your building's Support Professional.
  • There are two shared faculty office spaces that are available. These are located at the Thompson M-TEC and the Midtown Center. Both have a phone and PC and the Thompson M-TEC has a scantron machine. Midtown Center's is room #308, and at the Thompson M-TEC you should show your Raider Card to the staff in the front office and they can direct you to the room.
  • Although there are not assigned faculty mail boxes at the Lakeshore Campus. All mail from the Main Campus is delivered to your respective teaching location.
  • In case of an emergency, call 911 or contact a security guard in the evening.
  • There are multi-function printers located in the office at the Thompson M-TEC, Midtown Center and West Ottawa that students and staff may use. You must swipe your staff or student ID card to access the printer, however if you do forget your card you can also log in to the printer by using your Novell login credentials. There is printer/copier access at the OAISD Careerline Tech Center and GVSU's Meijer Campus that does not require your staff ID card. There will be limited copying services available at West Ottawa' North Building, in room A268. We do ask that all large orders to be processed through Printing and Graphics Department at the Main Campus in Grand Rapids. For your convenience, all orders can be delivered to the Lakeshore Campus. Please contact your building's support professional to coordinate delivery.
  • Raider cards can be acquired for faculty and students at the Lakeshore Campus Thompson M-TEC and Midtown Center facilities of the Lakeshore Campus. Students and Instructors must possess a Raider Card at West Ottawa North High School. There is also a Cash2Card machine located at the Thompson M-TEC and the Midtown Center.
  • There is no charge to park at any of the Lakeshore Campus locations.
  • Tutoring is available at the Lakeshore Campus in the areas of math, reading and writing. For hours and specific location information please go to
  • Academic Advising is available to students by appointment at our various facilities at the Lakeshore Campus. Please contact support staff for availability. Personal and Career Counseling, Disability and Occupational Support is also available.

Academic & Student Affairs

Completion Agenda

Our goal at GRCC is to increase student success through the accomplishment of the Completion Agenda.

This agenda includes a slate of specific college action projects (outlined in our Strategic Plan) as well as department-level projects directly and indirectly aimed at improving student success. Where the College is pursuing projects with indirect impact on the completion agenda, it is building infrastructure and capacity for future projects with more direct impact.

We will measure the success of our efforts by monitoring student performance in three specific areas:

Persistence, Completion, and Transfer

Persistence will be measured by:

  • Fall to Winter term persistence (all students)
  • Fall to Fall persistence (first time, full time students only)

Completion will be measured by:

  • Number of degrees/certificates awarded
  • Percent of students who earn a degree within six years

Transfer will be measured by:

  • Percent of students who successfully transfer within six years (to 4-year or other 2-year colleges)