Main Navigation Menu

Veteran's Benefits

Fraud Alert 11/22/13

Veterans should be aware of a marketing scam targeting callers
trying to reach the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Call Center or GI Bill Call Center.  A marketing company has established two fraudulent numbers that differ from the two official VA call center numbers by one digit.  If the fraudulent number is dialed by mistake, the answering party will offer a gift card and try to obtain personal and financial information, including credit card information, from the caller.  The answering party may even transfer the caller to the VA after the caller's information is obtained.  Note that VA will never ask you for a credit card number or banking information over the phone. Before giving personal sensitive information over the phone make sure you know who you are taking to.

The numbers to be avoided are:

800-872-1000  (the VA National Call Center number is 800-827-1000)

888-442-4511 (the VA GI Bill Call Center number is 888-442-4551)


Our Mission

Our primary mission is to identify and meet the needs of all military veteran, active duty, reservist students and their dependents. GRCC is committed to offering veteran students necessary information, helpful resources to encourage and empower academic and personal success. We strive to guide veteran students through key processes such as admissions and administration of veteran’s educational benefits. Here at GRCC we proudly serve over 300 veteran students.

Since 2009, G.I. Jobs has named Grand Rapids Community College on its list of Military Friendly institutions based on the college’s academic programs and reputation and its support of student veterans.

If you are an eligible veteran:

  1. View the New Veteran Student Checklist available under Forms.
  2. Contact the GRCC Veterans Office (616) 234-4129
  3. Meet with VA Certifying Official.
    Janice Holton
  4. Stop in to the GRCC Veterans Benefits Office located in Room 118, first floor, Main Bldg.

Getting Started

College admissions process for new, returning or transfer students

  • Apply to GRCC online
  • Submit transcripts or take Accuplacer placement test to meet Admissions requirements
  • Obtain Military Credit Transcripts (see information below)

Transferring (in)

  • If you have earned previous college credit, request that official college transcripts be sent to the GRCC Enrollment Center to account for all credits earned at another institution
  • Obtain Military Credit Transcripts (see information below)


  • Contact the Enrollment Center to reactivate your student status prior to the semester when you wish to return.

To seek out more information about eligibility, benefits estimates, FAQ, and much more please visit the American Council on Education.

Veteran's Benefits

To receive VA educational entitlements, a veteran student must (1) be fully admitted to the college and into a VA approved curriculum, (2) apply for those entitlements, (3) meet the eligibility requirements established by the VA. It is ultimately the veteran students’ decision which benefit option is the best for them.

All documentation should be submitted to the VA Benefits Representative in the GRCC Student Record's Office.

First Time Applicants for benefits will need the following:

  • Admission to GRCC
  • Completed Application for VA Educational Benefits.  Go to - Click Apply For Benefits - Launch VONAPP and Apply for Benefits (see New Veteran Checklist)
  • A certificate of eligibility (COE) letter.  This will be mailed from the VA when the application has been processed.  (* Usually takes 4-6 weeks).  You do not have to wait for this to start your education.  You can get started based on your application for benefits.
  • A copy of your DD-214 or NOBE
  • A completed request for Military Transcripts (see information & links below)
  • A signed Veterans Responsibility Form
  • A copy of your class schedule

Re-certifying for Continued Enrollment (Continuing Students and required for ALL every semester)


Complete and submit Change Place of Training/Pprogram form 22-1995 or Dependent Change of Place of Trainging/Program form 22-5495

Go to - Click Apply For Benefits - Select the Launch VONAPP and apply for benefits.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Consult your counselor/case manager regarding required documentation.  Office is located at:

     Gerald R. Ford Federal Bldg
     110 Michigan St NW
     Room 436
     Grand Rapids, MI  4+503

Applying for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (ch. 35 : 22-5490)

Fill out and complete the Application for VA Educational Benefits

Go to - Click Apply For Benefits - Select Launch VONAPP and Apply for Benefits

Army Reserve Tuition Assistance

Students seeking this benefit should visit with our Certifying Official prior to submitting their request for approval in order to correctly calculate tuition rates. For further information visit the website at

If you have further questions about GI Bill benefits, visit the website of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Monthly Verification of Attendance (for ch. 30, 1606, 1607,VRAP)

In order to receive your monthly benefit you must verify monthly attendance by using either Touch-Tone phone or web verification (WAVE)

Phone (877) 823-2378

Or call VA Regional Office for direct certification 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-BILL1)

Military Transcripts/Records Request Information

Military Leave

If you are called to or returning from active military duty notify GRCC Student Records and bring your orders.

Contact Us

Call, email, or walk in with questions or concerns, or schedule an individual consultation to find out more about veterans benefits and resources.

GRCC Veteran’s Support Services/VA Certifying Official
Student Records (Registrar) Office
1st floor – 153 Main Building
Phone (616) 234-4129 or (616) 234-2275
Fax (616) 234-4204