We are seeking students to serve as an advisory group for the staff and faculty who are responsible for implementing the First Scholars rewards program. We want your input! Review the job description below and, if you think you fit the bill, apply!
Position type: work study/student assistant
Hours: 2-4 hours per week
- Welcome First Scholars and guests to campus.
- Serve as a resource and peer support to first year students as it relates to easing their transition into college.
- Work closely with office staff and other First Scholar Ambassadors to promote campus activities and events including mixers, sporting events, student development workshops, and community service opportunities.
- Be responsive to questions regarding First Scholars and general campus information.
- If necessary, assist in delivering presentations regarding First Scholars program, services, and student incentives
- Provide support to office staff regarding events and activities such as printing, conducting telephone calls, distributing surveys, and other needed tasks related to event management and organization.
- Raise awareness within the First Scholars population about the benefits and rewards available.
- Must be in enrolled in at least 12 credits in both fall and winter semesters.
- Must have completed at least one semester at Grand Rapids Community College as a full time student (12 or more credits).
- Seeking a degree from GRCC preferred but not required.
- Be congenial and outgoing in meeting, greeting, and educating students, parents, faculty, and staff about the project.
- Exhibit strong communication skills, and ability to work effectively with people of all ages, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Be comfortable speaking in public to individuals and groups.
- Project a professional image and appearance.
- Be reliable and diligent on assigned duties.
- Ability to work with others to complete mutual goals.
- Excellent command of the English language, both oral and written
- Excellent customer service skills
- Familiarity with basic computer functions (word, excel, e-mail, etc.) and campus software (Online Student Center, e-mail, Blackboard, OrgSync, etc.)
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Genuine desire to assist others with development of successful educational habits and practices.