GRCC's Bob & Aleicia Woodrick Diversity Learning Center presents the 17th annual Latino Youth Conference "The Power of Dreams" (El Poder De Soñar) March 8, 2016, 9:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m., Grand Rapids Community College Gerald R. Ford Fieldhouse.
The Latino Youth Conference was created to encourage and motivate all youth to strive for educational excellence. It is our hope that this conference helps students to realize that higher education is a vehicle for a successful future.
The Latino Youth Conference will celebrate its sixteenth year in Grand Rapids. The conference seeks to encourage and motivate West Michigan 8th grade middle school students to look beyond the goal of high school graduation to higher education.
The conference is free and open to all interested 8th grade students.
For student registration questions please contact Julie Mushing, email@example.com
Latino Youth Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded in the amount of $1,000 to seniors in high school (see sidebar for cover, application and recommendation form).
- Senior (class of 2016)
- Actively attending high school
- Be of Hispanic Heritage
- Fall under one of the following categories:
- Academic Achievement (GPA of 3.0 and above)
- Academic Progress (GPA of 2.00-2.99)
We invite you to encourage your Kent ISD 8th through 12th grade students to participate in the sixteenth annual Latino Youth Conference Student Art Contest. This contest is open to all Kent ISD eighth through twelfth grade students who would like to submit their one dimensional art work.
The purpose of the contest is to recognize student artwork which focuses on Latino culture and heritage and to build excitement for higher education.
The Latino Youth Conference Planning Committee will select three winners from the pool of entries. The winning artwork will be used for the conference program cover, posters and flyers. The conference will be held on March 8, 2016 at the Grand Rapids Community College Ford Fieldhouse.
Guidelines for artwork
- The one dimensional artwork should reflect the theme of the conference; “The Power of Dreams” or “El poder de soñar”
- Open to all Kent ISD 8th through 12th grade students
- The image should be colorful and reflect something that is common to all the various Latino cultures and heritages
- Include on the back of artwork: Student name, school, school mailing address, teacher email address and phone number
- Art entries need to be submitted no later than December 1.
Prizes: 1st place $200.00, 2nd place $100.00, and 3rd place $50.00
Call for Program Proposals
The Latino Youth Conference Committee invites you to submit a program proposal, please see Call for Program Proposal by January 31st.