Virtual ceremonies and drive-through celebrations came in handy during the pandemic, but everyone was glad for a return to normal this past spring.
Commencement took place in Ford Fieldhouse, like it had for 2021. This year, however, graduates weren’t alone – guests were once again able to attend in person. Five tickets were available to each graduate for the event, which was split into ceremonies for the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Workforce Development.
GRADfest also returned as an in-person experience, held this year at both the Main and Lakeshore campuses. Graduates took care of paperwork; picked up caps, gowns and other important items; and enjoyed specially decorated cookies.
Face to face - again
- 450 students, total, went through commencement.
- 15 Grand Rapids Promise Zone students participated – the biggest group yet.
- Loyd Winer was named 2022 Distinguished Alumnus.
- Paul Krieger, Biology professor, was named Faculty Emeritus.
- Birgit M. Klohs, retired CEO of The Right Place, was keynote speaker.