Update as of March 18, 2020
Academic Support & Tutoring Services remains committed to providing support to you. As we transition from in-person to online tutoring, we encourage you to connect with a Math Group tutor and set up an online tutoring appointment to continue your tutoring sessions. To get started, send an email to: MathGroup@grcc.edu and include the following information:
1. Your name
2. Your class information, ie: MA 97, Steinfort
3. The day and time you were scheduled for MGT, ie: M / W, 10:00 am to 11:00 am
4. When would you like to schedule your online tutoring appointments?
We are offering sessions Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and would encourage you to maintain the same meeting day and time you had for in-person tutoring. We will attempt to honor other request as staffing allows.
5. Contact information; email address, cell phone number.
When we receive your request, a tutor will connect with you to confirm the appointment and explain the online tutoring process to you.
Our online tutoring sessions are synchronous, which means you and the tutor will work together, at the same time, in a digital space discussing your class needs. There are several programs available to facilitate online tutoring. One of the programs used by several of our Tutorial Labs is Zoom. It offers the option for video and audio communications, in addition to text chat, as well as a whiteboard, file sharing, screen sharing, and an annotation tool. Zoom is available on many different devices and platforms such as Windows, Mac OS, Android, and iOS. It is also available using many different web browsers.
Your tutor will let you know which program you will be using to conduct your online sessions.
When it's your time to meet online with your tutor,
- Have your Student ID Number handy so that our tutors can document the session.
- Have your textbook, class notes, assignment sheets, etc. nearby for quick reference during the session.
- Have your speakers (or headphones) and microphone set up in advance so that you can speak to the tutor.
- Find a quiet place without much background noise for the best learning environment.
- Find a location with a good WiFi signal or internet connection.
If you have questions, send them to the same email address, MathGroup@grcc.edu and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
We look forward to continuing our work with you.
The Academic Support & Tutoring Services department offers small group tutoring with professional tutors for MA 097, 098. 099 and 107, as well as IRW 097 and 098. Tutors provide expert guidance helping students to understand the content as well as gain a better understanding of how to effectively study math, English and reading. Once assigned to a group, you will meet every week for the remainder of the semester.
To join a group, you’ll need to complete a "Tutor Request Form". The form is available in the our office, located on the second floor of the Learning Resource Center (Library) building in room 232. In addition to your information, your professor will also need to sign the application.