HESI exam or Health Education Systems, Inc. exam is administered by schools of nursing in the United States to assess student competency and evaluate if the nursing program/curriculum is working. HESI exam is a timed, computerized test given online.
The HESI exam administered at the GRCC Academic Testing Center is only available for students seeking admission into GRCC Nursing programs.
HESI exams at GRCC are offered on an appointment basis. Previously published testing days and times have been temporarily adjusted. Schedule is subject to change
On-campus appointment based HESI testing
Scheduling and payment
Contact the Cashier’s Office by phone to pay the $50 HESI testing fee. They are available Monday thru Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to process the transaction. Call (616) 234-4194. Additional payment options are available.
To schedule a testing appointment, complete the online registration form
- Select your test from the group.
- Choose your exam.
- Select an exam date and time.
- Enter your personal information.
- Acknowledge exam guidelines.
- If requested, provide additional information.
- Click on Add to Cart, review appointment date and time, select Complete Registration to confirm your test.
- You will receive a confirmation email with details regarding your testing appointment.
*Following COVID-19 / social distancing guidelines have significantly limited our seating capacity which has caused HESI testing appointments to be at a premium. We ask that you make every effort to keep your scheduled appointment or give a reasonable notice if you need to cancel your appointment.
Please contact the Academic Testing Center if you have any questions, (616) 234-3413.
The Academic Testing Center is located in room 325 of the Student Center and access to the center will be available through the East Entry doors on the corner of Lyon St and Ransom St.
Exam day procedures
- Only those individuals scheduled to test will be allowed in the building.
- You must have photo identification to be admitted to the HESI exam.
- Bring your paid receipt or a copy of it.
- You will be requested to complete a GRCC health screening form before your testing session, adhere to social distancing and safety protocol guidelines, and follow personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements.
- A limited number of lockers are available for students while testing. We recommend only bringing your picture ID with you when you test.
- You will not be allowed to take anything; backpack, purse, hat, cell phone or other electronics into the testing center.
Student Safety Protocols and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements
- If you don’t feel well, you are required to stay home
- Students will be required to practice recommended social distancing.
- Face coverings are required in all campus buildings when you are in public and shared environments such as classrooms, bookstore, food service areas, library, hallways and restrooms.
- Scarves, disposable face masks or shields are all acceptable.
- If you do not have a face-covering, we will have disposable face coverings available at the Academic Testing Center.
Online HESI testing
Several times a years, online HESI testing opportunities may be offered.
This option will allow you to take the assessment from home using a remote proctoring service. It is important to realize that in order to choose this preference, you must have access to a computer, a webcam, a microphone, and a reliable internet connection. Your testing location should be well-lit, private and in a quiet area that is free from interruption. Your face and your screen will be recorded through the duration of the exam and monitored by a proctor.
Detailed registration and payment information will be made available when the next online HESI testing dates are confirmed.
HESI Overview and Study Resources
The GRCC Nursing Program maintains two web pages that provide an overview of what is involved when preparing for the HESI exam and how to interpret your scores after testing.
A HESI Study Guide is available from the GRCC Bookstore. This guide includes sample test questions and will help you decide what to focus on when you study.
Make sure you use other resources to study from as well.
- Practice math problems using a calculator. You have access to an online calculator but scratch paper is prohibited during the exam. The HESI is designed so you may obtain a 75 percent or higher utilizing an online calculator. Remember to study your arithmetic and algebra functions (such as fractions, percentages and foil method).
- Vocabulary does include some Nursing terminology. Make sure you read through some medical terminology books pertaining to Nursing. There are terms on the Vocabulary exam that refer to the Nursing field.
- Reading Comprehension has examples in the HESI Study Guide. You read a given passage and answer some multiple choice questions.