A Raider Buzz feature:
Members of Alpha Upsilon Kappa, GRCC's Phi Theta Kappa chapter, recently attended the organization's national conference in Orlando, Fla.
GRCC entered the “ScholarBowl” competition for the first time with a team of Phillip Kamp, Stephany Mendez Ortega, Brian Guadarrama and Drewyn Talley. Morgan Brown designed the shirt worn by the entire Michigan Region and was hired by the national organization as one of three official photographers for the conference. Tikvah Finn participated in the job interview competition.
Members presented educational forums on “Effective Communication for Leaders” and “Building a Successful Transfer Plan” that were each attended by more than 70 students.
The chapter received many honors at the conference:
- Alpha Upsilon Kappa was recognized as a 5-Star chapter for the fourth consecutive year. To achieve this status, members must complete a college project, an honors in action project, other service projects, fellowship activities, fundraising events as well as attending regional and national conferences, and collaborating with other chapters.
- Finn, Kamp, Mendez Ortega, Guadarrama and Talley won Outstanding Chapter Officer Team -- one of 15 from more than 1,300 officer teams nationwide recognized.
- Brown was one of only 15 named an Outstanding Chapter Team Member.
- Finn was GRCC’s first Coca-Cola All American Silver Scholar winner.
- Mendez Ortega and Kamp were recognized for being Jack Kent Cooke Transfer Scholarship semifinalists.