Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Forms and Processes FAQs

What do I have to do to change my major (curriculum code)?

Log in into your Online Center and submit a Declaration of Academic ProgramDo the same if you are changing from personal interest to degree seeking.

Students should complete the Health Admissions Application also, if they have applied to GRCC and would like to complete a specific health program at GRCC. .

Transfer Information FAQs

When should I apply to the school I intend to transfer to? Is my GPA high enough?

It is best to contact that schools admissions office (see transfer schools) directly for application deadline dates and minimum GPA requirements, as well as scholarship information. You can also learn more about the transfer process by downloading a Getting Ready to Transfer handout. The counselors in the Counseling and Career Center can assist you with obtaining transfer applications and can answer many of your questions. Many transfer schools visit GRCC every week, so take the time to visit a transfer school on campus.

I am going to transfer to an out-of-state school. What courses should I take?

You need to contact that school and ask them for a catalog and information for transfer students. Then you need to make an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling and Career Center to develop a curriculum plan.

I don't know what I am going to major in or if I am going to transfer. How do I know what courses to take?

A counselor in the Counseling and Career Center can help you begin to make these decisions and suggest good courses to take. You can also do career counseling to identify your interest areas.

Academic Advising FAQs

How do I calculate my GPA?

Each grade is worth a total number of honor points. Multiply the number of honor points of each grade received by the number of credit hours for that course. Then divide the total number of honor points by the total number of credit hours earned. There is an online GPA Calculator available to help you calculate your GPA.

Grade Scale

A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
E 0.00

The following grades do not have Honor Points and are not factored into your GPA:

I = Incomplete
W = Student Initiated Drop
V = Audit

What do I do if I want to drop a class?

First, you should talk to your teacher. For additional help, you can talk to a counselor to consider your alternatives, like tutoring. Also, a counselor can help you access support available to prevent future drops. You can drop a class using the Online Center. Be aware of reimbursement dates and deadlines, and financial aid implications before you drop a class.

I was told I am an Academic Foundations Program (AFP) student. What does that mean?

As a result of your performance on your placement tests, you were placed in developmental courses that will help you improve your skills in either, or all of, math, reading and writing. The Academic Foundations Program (AFP) provides classes that help you build your skills in these areas.

I took classes there 20 years ago. Are my credits still good?

Yes, once you receive credit for a class, that credit will continue to exist.

I want to drop a class and I am on financial aid. How will this effect me?

You need to go to the Financial Aid office to learn about your award and the stipulations. Failing to do so could put your award at risk if you drop or fail a class.

I have been told I need to be a full-time student taking at least 12 credits. Is this true?

It depends. Students, for certain reasons, like financial aid requirements or coverage under their parents health insurance, may need to have at least twelve credits Fall and Winter semesters. Students need to inquire at the source to find out the reasons behind the need for full-time status.

Full-time, 12 credits, over the summer seems like an awful lot. How am I supposed to cope?

Full-time is considered 12 credits regardless of the semester.

I know the program I want to do. How do I find out what courses I need to take?

To start with, the catalog and transfer guide contain the curriculums for our 2-year programs and suggested transfer curriculums for 4-year institutions. Make an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling and Career Center to discuss these requirements.

I don't know what I am going to major in or if I am going to transfer. How do I know what courses to take?

A counselor in the Counseling and Career Center can help you begin to make these decisions and suggest good courses to take. You can also do career counseling to identify your interest areas.

Is there anything I should do to prepare for my counseling appointment?

Yes! Please try to bring unofficial transcripts from other colleges you have attended if you have questions about transferring credit to GRCC or completing a degree at GRCC. If you are coming in to register, think about the days and times you'd like to go to school. You may also want to look over classes you are interested in taking in the catalog.

I haven't gone to college before. I don't understand the whole "college thing." Do classes work like in high school?

No. You can go to school any days and times we offer classes. There are weekday, weeknight and weekend classes available. There are also online courses and hybrid. You take what you want to take (as long as you have the pre-requisite courses, if needed). You don't have to take an early morning class if that doesn't work for you. Typically, a full-time student who isn't working takes four or five classes a semester.

I work. I need to figure out how much time I need to have available for school. How do I figure this out?

You need to be in class for as many hours a week as the amount of contact hours you are registered for. If your class meets twice a week for 90 minutes (1.5 hrs x 2 = 3 hrs per week in class), you should allow 2-3 hours of homework per hour per week you are in class; per week (3 x 2 = 6 hrs to study for the one class).  Typically, a non-lab class will meet the hours per week of the designated credit hours, but not always. As a quick calculation, if you are taking 15 credit hours, you should assume you'll have 30-45 hours of study time needed. So you can see how it is very hard to work full-time and go to school full-time! It's like working two full-time jobs.

I want to get done fast. Isn't it a good idea to take as many courses as possible a semester?

No! Look at it this way, if you rush to get done and have to drop classes on the way or get poor grades, it will take as long to get done as if you took your time and did well without having to repeat. Also, since transferring to another school can be competitive, you need to get good grades!

I need to talk to a counselor about a personal problem. Can I do that?

Yes! When making an appointment for personal counseling, let the office personnel know that you would like an hour appointment. All the counselors in the Counseling and Career Center are licensed counselors and have experience with personal as well as academic issues. In addition, what you discuss is confidential, meaning it is only between you and your counselor. Plus, it's free.

I'm almost finished with my degree. Is there anything I need to do?

Yes! You will need to submit a Graduation Application  to the Student Records Office the semester you intend to graduate (or the semester before) after you have verified that all requirements will be met. Submission deadlines for each semester are posted on the Graduation Application. Be advised that there are alternate Graduation Application deadlines related to campus activities such as being considered for Delta Pi Alpha and being published in the Commencement Program. If you are planning to transfer to another college or university, you will also need to complete an application for your transfer school. Applications to most schools are available in the Counseling and Career Center. Many schools also have applications online (see transfer schools).