This course provides a structured and extended off-campus experience in a supervised setting for Juvenile Services Majors. Students work within a variety of professional setters that are related to their major and future career interests. Students are required to spend a minimum of 90 clock hours at their internship.
Students are responsible for identifying their own internship site. As a student, you can find internship opportunities under the Employment and Internship Opportunities link over to the left hand side. On the site, our department has listed several sites on a resource guide you can review that students have either completed internships or are employed at these locations. You can also look for other internships outside of the GRCC website. Internship experiences may be paid or unpaid. The Criminal Justice Department has many connections in the community and want to help students succeed.
When starting the process for an internship, students should use our internship application. Please be sure to look at the information guide for more details on how to submit materials to the Criminal Justice Department. You will need to make copies of some documents before submitting them.
If you find an internship not listed on the department website’s resource guide, please contact Nikki Banks at email@example.com or (616) 234-4109 for approval. Once your site is approved, please contact Rachel Crapo at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 234-4280 to enroll in CJ 287.
Also, to help you through the internship process, please follow these steps:
- Print the Internship Application Packet to the right of the screen. Please be sure to look at the information guide for more details on how to submit materials to the Criminal Justice Department. You will need to make copies of some documents before submitting them or if you would like Rachel Crapo can help make copies for you as well.
- Use the Employment and Internship Resource Guide that is listed under the Employment and Internship Opportunities link over to the left hand side. This word document will have a list of different sites. You will want to select 3-5 internship sites for you to research that are you of interest to you.
- Contact Rachel Crapo in the CJ office to enroll in the class.
- You as the student are responsible for solidifying your internship. Make sure to reach out to different internship sites as each one has their own process of how to apply to an internship. Once you have your internship, please have your supervisor fill out the paperwork in the application packet and submit back to the CJ office.
- You are ready to go! Please contact our office if you have any other questions.