What Would Make Me an Independent Student for Financial Aid Purposes?

If you meet any of the conditions below, you are considered an independent student and will not need to provide parent information on your financial aid application (FAFSA).

  • 24 years old or older by December 31 of the fall semester of the academic year you are applying for aid
  • Currently married
  • Veteran or active military duty
  • Have children¬†who receive more than half of their financial support from you
  • Both parents are deceased*
  • Anytime after the age of 13 you were in foster care
  • Ward of court until age 18*
  • Emancipated minor, homeless youth, live in emergency shelter or transitional program or housing funded by HUD.
  • A court appointed someone as your legal guardian.*

*These students will need to document their status.