If you're 15 or older and looking for a great summer job, we offer lifeguard positions at the GRCC Pool. To find out more about lifeguarding, the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Website is the best place to start. This course helps you develop skills and experience valued by colleges and future employers. You'll develop new skills and learn how to work effectively with people, fostering a "take charge" attitude. Tips for securing a lifeguarding job as many of our instructors are seasoned supervisors of local public and private pools. Let us help you meet your aquatic needs.
Lifeguard classes are offered at many pools locally, but to better understand why lifeguarding is so successful at GRCC, please read About GRCC's Lifeguarding Courses.
If you have any questions regarding lifeguarding classes please feel free to send an email to Maddie Dyer email@example.com
Lifeguard Class Schedule
|Lifeguard Class #1 (Blended Learning)||Saturday|
|Lifeguard Class #2 (Blended Learning)||Monday and Tuesday|
We are more than willing to run the above classes as well as any additional American Red Cross Safety training courses that accommodates your schedule and needs with a minimum of 8 participants. Email Maddie Dyer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- If this class has less than 5 students it will not run and you will be refunded for the class amount.*
- Seats in classes are not held for candidates until they have paid in full.
- Classes are maxed out at 10 students per instructor.
If you would like to register for a lifeguarding class please submit payment at the time you complete the class registration. You will be immediately directed to the payment page, after you submit the registration. If you submit a registration with no payment it does not hold your space, and your registration will be disregarded until payment has been received.
- Full Lifeguarding Course: $225.00
- Lifeguard Recertification Course: $125.00 includes instructional material and cards once the course is completed. Participants must provide us with a valid Lifeguarding Certificate prior to the start of class. (16 Hours)
Cancellation Questions and Fees
We understand that schedule changes happen, but please understand that when you are registering and submitting payment for a class, it is in high demand especially classes that occur in the spring/summer time. Please email Maddie Dyer at email@example.com,before you submit payment and registration if you have any scheduling questions or concerns. If you do have to cancel your registration you will be issued a refund in the form of a check, but we will keep $25.00 dollars as a cancellation fee
Please email Maddie Dyer directly if you have any questions about classes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lifeguarding Class Prerequisites
All participants must fulfill the following criteria to successfully complete lifeguard training:
- Be 15 years of age by the last day of the course
- Swim 300 yards continuously using the following strokes:
- 100 yards of the front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing propellant kick
- 100 yards of the breaststroke
- 100 yards of the front crawl and/or the breaststroke
- Swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 12 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point in under 1 minute 40 seconds.
- Tread water for two minutes only using your legs.
Course participants who fail the prerequisite test, given during the first day of each session will not be allowed to complete the course and their registration fee will not be refunded. If you have reservations about the prerequisite tests, contact us prior to signing up. We want you to succeed!
Candidates who successfully complete lifeguarding class at GRCC will receive certification in:
- Lifeguarding and First Aid -- Valid for two years.
- CPR/AED for Lifeguards -- Valid for two years.
Candidates who do not pass the course are normally extended the opportunity to retake the course during the next available session at no additional cost. In cases where a candidate does not pass the course, the candidate will receive direct information from their instructor about what actions must be taken to retake the course.C
All sessions are held at the GRCC Ford Fieldhouse Natatorium
111 Lyon St. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503.