The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). These provisions will apply from April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
In general, employees are eligible for up to two weeks of fully or partially paid sick leave for COVID-19 related reasons. Employees who have been employed for at least 30 days prior to their leave request may be eligible for up to an additional 10 weeks of partially paid expanded family and medical leave for qualifying reason #5 below.
In addition to the information below, we have created a short video to help you better understand the benefits provided by the FFCRA. Please take a few moments to watch:
An employee is entitled to take leave related to the COVID-19 if the employee is unable to work, including unable to telework, because the employee:
- is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
- is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
- is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2);
- is caring for their child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19 related reasons;
- is experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Send an email to Cathy Kubiak in Human Resources -- firstname.lastname@example.org -- and your supervisor indicating your request for the paid sick leave and/or expanded FMLA. Cathy will contact you and follow up with obtaining the required information. She will guide you through the process. If we anticipate you’ll be exceeding the 80 hours of paid sick leave, you’ll be directed to Stacia Barczak in Human Resources. Stacia will be managing the expanded FMLA requests as well as standard FMLA requests.
Please review the additional information about the emergency Paid Sick Leave and Expanded FMLA. If you have any questions, please contact:
- Stacia Barczak (email@example.com) regarding Expanded FMLA.
- Cathy Kubiak (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding Emergency Paid Sick Leave or other inquiries.