Professional Development Information
Internal Training are training sessions that Human Resources provides directly to employees through its Current Learning Opportunities Registration. These training sessions are added to your Training Summary automatically. Please note: Your Training Summary will reflect trainings with a status of: Completed, Dropped, and/or No Show.
External Training are learning opportunities provided through sources other than Human Resources. Professional development credit for external trainings may include courses or conferences for which a Leave of Absence form has been completed. If an employee states the number of hours of participation in the training/conference and the competency is identified, the training or conference will be included in the Training Summary as an external course. External courses also include webinars and on-campus training which don't require a Leave of Absence form to be completed. If an employee requests professional development credit for this type of training, they are able to add the learning opportunity through the Self-service option in PeopleSoft or the GRCC Online Learning Center.
College Credit earned by an employee in Meet & Confer, APSS, CEBA, or GRCC Police can apply toward their professional development. The hours of professional development for a college course are calculated by taking the number of hours a week the course meets (or the total credit hours) multiplied by the number of weeks the course took place.
- Example: Course A meets for 2 hours Mondays and Wednesdays for 10 weeks. 2 X 2 (two days a week) = 4 hours X 10 weeks = 40 hours of professional development OR an Online Course B for 3 credit hours was held for 10 weeks. 3 credit hours X 10 weeks = 30 hours of professional development.
A Training Summary is an aggregate list of all of your professional development activities during a particular fiscal year. A Training Summary is extremely useful for both staff and supervisors when conducting an annual performance review.
To access your Training Summary:
- Go to the Online Center
- Login using your Novell login and password
- Choose GRCC Employee, then the Training Summary tab
- Select the appropriate Fiscal Year
External Professional Development Added to Training Summary
Employees are able to add external professional development to their Training Summary.
Internal trainings offered by Human Resources, or external training that has a complete/approved Leave of Absence form, will be recorded by Staff Development on your training summary. Examples of professional development you are able to add include: webinars, college courses, wellness development, or other trainings.
To do so:
- Go to the Online Center
- Login using your Novell username and password
- Choose GRCC Employee from the top menu, then the Training Summary tile.
- Click the Add Professional Training link, followed by the Add Professional Training Course button.
- Populate the training information in the fields provided and Save. Please note: Trainings must be added in 0.5 hour increments.