Fall 2019 AMP applications are now being accepted.
Students — imagine yourself earning money while learning on-the-job and earning a college degree without having to pay for tuition!
The new age of advanced manufacturing is here, in West Michigan. If you like working with your hands, problem-solving and communicating with others about technical issues, there are several West Michigan manufacturers who are looking for talent like you. GRCC has partnered with several sponsoring companies who are willing to pay for your education while paying you to work for them.
AMP students not only go to school full-time but also work a minimum of 20 hours each week at the sponsoring company. They earn a paycheck and have their college courses paid for as they work towards an Associate Degree in Tooling and Manufacturing at GRCC. The payoff doesn't stop there; Grand Rapids Community College’s Associate Degrees pave the way into Ferris State University’s Bachelor Degrees programs — right here in Grand Rapids! It takes dedication, but the benefits are plentiful!
What are companies looking for?
The partnering companies are looking for students who have:
- a good work ethic
- a willingness to learn a trade
- a mechanic aptitude
Students need to meet the minimum admission requirements for GRCC
- A minimum 2.0 high school GPA must be achieved
- Each student must score 18 or above on the math, reading and English portions of the ACT test OR a minimum of 25 on the math, reading and English portions of the SAT.
- If a student does not meet the minimum ACT or SAT scores, he or she will be required to take the Accuplacer test at GRCC to determine what remedial courses should be taken to prepare for the entry college courses. This test is administered after admittance into the AMP program, but the remedial courses need to be completed in the summer semester prior to starting the program in the Fall.
Other Things to Consider
- Companies set their own requirements regarding grades, attendance and repayment of tuition to the sponsoring company if students do not meet the company’s policies.
- AMP Students will attend classes at GRCC for two full days per week as a full-time student (12-15 credit hours).
- AMP Students will sign a Grade and Attendance Release form so that this information may be released to his/her sponsoring company.