At its inception, the Latino Youth Conference (LYC) was a grassroots project created by members of the Grand Rapids community. The goal was to encourage and motivate West Michigan high school students to think about education and career goals beyond high school.
Over the last decade, LYC has evolved and changed its targeted focus to middle school-aged students. The goal of this initiative is to spark interest in the college experience at an earlier age. Through workshops and interactive activities, participants of the Latino Youth Conference are provided with affirming ideas about Latina/o/x culture, skills-based academic preparation as they approach high school, social engagement tools, and personal development.
The conference will be held on Tuesday, March 3, 2020, at Grand Rapids Community College. Participation is through invitation to schools identified as partners.
For information regarding registration for students that are not enrolled at a member school or for general questions, please contact: ODEI@grcc.edu
Workshop Proposal Submission
We invite members of local colleges and the Grand Rapids community to invest in conference attendees and the mission of LYC. Please submit a workshop proposal for the 21st Annual Latino Youth Conference.
We invite students to participate in the annual Latino Youth Conference Art Contest. This contest is open to students in grades 8-12 who would like to submit their art work.
The purpose of the contest is to recognize student artwork that focuses on Latino culture and heritage and to build excitement for higher education. Members of the planning committee will identify the top three projects from the pool of entries. The artwork selected for first place recognition will be used for conference materials.
Guidelines for artwork
- The artwork should reflect the theme of the conference: TBD
- Open to all students in grades 8-12.
- The image should be colorful and honor the history and culture of diverse Latino communities.
- Include on the back of artwork: Student name, school, school mailing address, teacher email address and phone number.
- Art entries need to be submitted no later than December 1, 2019: GRCC, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, LLC-room 119, 140 Ransom Avenue, NE. Grand Rapids, MI 49503.