Geology at Grand Rapids Community College
- What killed the dinosaurs?
- Can we predict earthquakes?
- What would happen if Yellowstone erupted?
- What’s the big deal about climate change?
- How do we keep our water clean?
GRCC’s geology program offers courses that:
- prepare students for a career in Earth Science
- transfer to other colleges and universities
- fulfill student’s science requirement for an Associate’s Degree
Our students also have the opportunity to attend field trips and conduct independent research!
The Geology Pre-major
Start here and finish there!
Want to get your first 2 years of a geology program completed at GRCC? Students in the geology pre-major track will complete first two years of course work required for a Bachelor of Science in geology at most 4-year institutions.
The Geology Pre-Major program lays the foundation for students transferring to colleges and universities to obtain a Bachelor’s degree in geology. Students who declare the Geology Pre-Major are on track to graduate with an Associate of Science degree from GRCC and transfer to a 4-year institution to complete a Bachelor’s degree in geological sciences.
Why study geology?
Our growing global population, dwindling resources and changing environment have increased demand for professional geologists in the workforce. Job growth is projected to be 10% over the next decade, higher than the national average.
Examples of careers in geology:
- Environmental Engineer/Scientist
- Exploration Geologist
- College/University Faculty
- Earth Science Educator (K-12)
Banner Image: Eruption of Kilauea Volcano, Hawai’i. Photo courtesy of U.S.G.S.