Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVACR) is a broad, stable industry that involves creating and maintaining safe, comfortable, enclosed environments for people and products.
This industry provides services essential to maintaining our quality of life. Technicians design, sell, install, and service the air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating units used in residential and commercial buildings. This complex equipment may control temperature and humidity and filter and clean air.
You're certified sooner at GRCC
Our programs offer a condensed block-time schedule with classes Monday through Thursday starting at 7 a.m. Classes are scheduled back to back to simplify the time schedule and accelerate the program.
Areas of study
You’ll learn theory of equipment operation and have hands-on laboratory practice installing equipment and performing standard service procedures. You’ll gain knowledge and skill in the following areas:
- Principles of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration
- Cooling, heating, filtering, and controlling humidity
- Operating characteristics of various parts, units, and systems
- Blueprint reading
- Use of technical reference manuals
- Diagnosis of malfunctions
- Overhaul, repair, and adjustment of parts, units and systems
HVAC/R offers a variety of career opportunities
Technicians may work in many places and situations, both indoors and outdoors. They often specialize in one area. Positions available to HVAC/R graduates include:
- Air-Conditioning Technician
- Climate Control Technician
- Domestic Air-Conditioning Installer
- Environmental-Control-System Installer
- Heating Technician
- Heating and Cooling Technician
- Oil-Burners Installer and Repair Technician
- Refrigeration Technician
- Warm-Air Furnace Installer and Repair Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Service Technician
- Sales Representative
- Engineering Assistant
In West Michigan, skilled technicians are in great demand and offer job security. New technology and the emphasis on saving energy and reducing pollution have created a need for skilled technicians to update equipment and systems.
For more information or to schedule a site visit please contact: