Skip to main content

Addiction Studies Certificate

A certificate in Addiction Studies prepares students to serve as substance abuse counselors, residential care counselors, specialists in drug or sobriety courts or to work with addicted populations as probation, parole, or corrections officers. This program also enhances the skills of persons currently employed in corrections or substance abuse agencies in working with addicted populations.

Substance abuse counselors and residential aides, as well as specialty probation and parole officers, work with persons having addictive disorders to reduce or eliminate dependence on drugs or alcohol and reduce criminal behaviors associated with their use of drugs or alcohol. The Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP) requires certain education and experience requirements be completed to obtain reciprocal (CCJP is not reciprocal) state certification in the areas of addiction counseling, prevention services and substance abuse assessment in the court system. Certification requires specific education coursework in drugs, alcohol, addictive populations, interviewing, counseling with diverse populations, treatment planning, criminal justice, and criminology. The education coursework for credentials as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) and Certified Peer Recovery Mentor (CPRM) can be completed as part of an Associate Degree Program in Criminal Justice.

The Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP-M) has been revised by MCBAP and currently requires addiction education (200 hours) as well as a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, social services, or a related behavioral health/human services field. GRCC will continue to provide the addiction education hours. Students are advised to discuss specific requirements with the GRCC Criminal Justice department faculty before enrolling.

Probation, parole, and corrections officers working with addictive populations and residential substance abuse counselors generally are required to have a bachelor’s degree as a condition of employment. Persons working as assessment or counseling staff in a substance abuse or mental health agency may be required to have graduate education. Students interested in such work should discuss transferability of Community College work to baccalaureate degree-granting institutions with the GRCC Criminal Justice department faculty before enrolling in the program.

Certificates can be earned by completing the education requirements for the Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP-M), Certified Peer Recovery Mentor (CPRM) or the Certified Addictions Drug Counselor (CADC). You also may complete the requirements for all certificates. GRCC has been approved by MCBAP to provide education hours for these certificates. For full state certification, you would be required to complete the experience hours and the required examination.

Career Online Transfer