GRCC's Social Sciences and Mathematics Department will be hosting members from the new Michigan Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission.
This commission, made up of 4 Republicans, 4 Democrats, and 5 Unaffiliated Michigan voters from across the state, is the first group of non-legislators who will draw our state's congressional, state senate, and state house district lines.
Their vision is "to chart a positive course for elections based on fair maps for Michigan today and for the future" and a key part of this is collecting input from individuals about their own communities and how the areas in which they live should be redistricted.
- Date: June 14
- Time: 6:30-8 p.m.
- Method: Virtual - Zoom link
This virtual event will include the following:
- A presentation and Q&A with three members from the commission
- A mini, hands-on workshop on the following topics:
- How to submit comments about your own community to the commission
- How to use a mapping tool called Districtr to draw maps outlining your own community of interest
- Conversation points to help others identify characteristics and boundaries of their own communities of interest
More information is posted on the event Facebook page.
We hope to have Spanish translation available, we will confirm this as well as announce the names and bios of the commissioners who will be joining us on our Facebook page when we are able to.