Cruisin’ to College is designed to prepare you for life after high school — whether that’s enrolling in college, taking a certification or program, or jumping into your career.
Save the date!
Cruisin' to College summer 2021: June 8 - August 5
Free summer program
This free summer program will help you:
- Earn College Credit! Students will enroll in CLS 100 (Introduction to College: New Student Experience) and earn 2 college credits.
- Improve your math scores with the ALEKS program.
- Learn skills that increase your employability after high school.
- Get job shadowing experience in your areas of interest.
- College field trips.
- Earn and save money — students earn a $500 stipend for completing the program.
Due to social distancing requirements, we are running a hybrid schedule this summer.
Wyoming students will be on campus on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Monday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
East Kentwood & GRPS students on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Tuesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m .
- Thursday: 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
On the days students are not on campus, there will be online work for their CLS 100 course, ALEKS math assignments as well as employability/job training modules.
Please note: We are providing laptops and/or hotspots as needed.
College visits/field trips (All students):
- Friday, June 25
- Friday, July 16
- Friday, July 23
We provide all of the learning materials, daily breakfasts, lunch on field trip days, and bus passes for transportation to and from the program.
In order to join the program, you must:
- Have parent or guardian involvement.
- Have the ability to commit to the entire summer program, from June 8 - August 5.
- Be a high school freshman from a partnered high school at the time of application.
- GRPS Schools (All high schools)
- Kelloggsville High School
- Godfrey Lee High School
- Godwin Heights High School
- Wyoming High School
- East Kentwood High School
- Attend to an info session and an orientation with your parent(s) or guardian(s).
- Take a math assessment test.
How to apply
A program coordinator will reach out to you using the contact information provided on the interest form. They will provide details about upcoming information and orientation sessions.
See your High School Counselor or Principal for a GRCC Dual Enrollment
Attend the information and orientation session with your parent(s) or guardian(s).
Please note: seats are limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Cruisin' to College program is an opportunity for Grand Rapids area students, made possible by Believe 2 Become and GRCC.
What participants say about the program
"I got to collaborate with people from all over West Michigan, visit many colleges and take an introductory course worth college credit. The course taught me how to how to survive in college and contribute to society. I really enjoyed it, and I'd do it again." Juan, Wyoming High School
"The summer program was an amazing experience for my daughter. She was so focused and excited to go every morning. I am very thankful for the program." Jennifer, Parent