Visiting the Food Pantry
The Student Food Pantry is open during Student Life operating hours, which is traditionally Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Please check in at the Student Life Office on the first floor of the Student Center.
You may fill out the Student Food Pantry Intake Form online or in the office.
How to Access the Food Pantry
- Eligibility: Students that are currently enrolled in classes may utilize the pantry.
- The Student Food Pantry Intake Form must be completed once a semester.
- Visits are limited to once per week.
- Students will check in with staff at the Student Life Office and fill out the necessary intake forms, at which point staff can answer any questions if there are any.
- Bring a valid student ID–if you do not have your student ID yet office staff can assist you in obtaining one.
- First Visits: Students will complete necessary forms and receive two tote bags (one canvas and one thermal). Please bring back these bags for each visit, and note that only the student themselves may enter the pantry area. Your student ID will be held on to by office staff until you are finished at the pantry.
- The pantry is considered “self-serve” with a limit to the student’s two designated bags. Students are asked to be considerate when selecting items, however most items do not have an enforced limit. Bringing extra bags is not permitted.
- Hygiene items such as diapers, wipes, toothbrushes, etc. may be requested and are kept in a separate stocking area–these items are limited so that we can better serve all of our students.
- The pantry offers a variety of items such as non perishables, refrigerated and frozen foods, hygiene products, and baby items. These items vary throughout the year.
These types of items are offered at the food pantry
- Non-perishables (examples: soup, noodles, rice, beans, cereal, side dishes, canned fruits and veggies, etc.).
- Refrigerated and frozen foods (examples: eggs, fresh produce, frozen meats, etc.).
- Hygiene items (examples: travel size shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, menstrual hygiene products, etc.).
- Baby items (examples: diapers, wipes, baby food, formula, etc.).
About the Pantry
Grand Rapids Community College Student Alliance, the GRCC Foundation, and the Office of Student Life and Conduct are proud to offer the GRCC Student Food Pantry and Snack Pantries. These pantries are designed to meet the immediate food needs of its students on campus by providing a variety of non-perishable food items and basic necessities to students and their families. The Food Pantry is located in the Student Center and will operate the same hours as the Office of Student Life and Conduct.
There are currently nine Snack Pantries on campus. The Snack Pantries provide grab-and-go options (granola bars, microwavable soups and noodles, etc.) for students that are hungry and are maintained in partnership by Student Life, the English department, Psi Beta, Counseling and Career Development, Library and Learning Commons, Student Services, Veteran Center, the Lakeshore Campus, the ATC, and the MTec. The Snack Pantries do not require registration and food is provided when available.
Snack Pantry locations
At this time, the snack pantries are not regularly stocked. Please visit Student Life to pick up a grab-and-go bag with snacks and other portable meals. We'll update this page once the snack pantries are regularly stocked with available items.
- English, 400 College Park Plaza
- Student Services, First Floor RJF
- Veterans Center, G2 RJF
- Library and Learning Commons
- ATC - Computer Lab
- Sneden Hall, First Floor
- Tassell MTec
- Lakeshore Campus
- Student Center, Third Floor
Unsure where any of these locations are? Check our campus map!
Terms and Conditions
When you complete the intake form you agree to the following:
- I understand that food can only be picked up by the currently enrolled Grand Rapids Community College student who completed this intake form and that this intake form is only good for one academic term. The student must reapply for each academic term they wish to participate in the program. Only one (1) GRCC student per household may apply to the program. Food can be picked up twice per month using the specific GRCC bag. This bag will be provided on the first visit and must be brought back by the student to receive food on all future visits.
- I understand that food I receive from the Grand Rapids Community College Food Pantry has been donated or purchased from several on-campus and off-campus partners and that none of the parties or groups involved in the program make any guarantees as to the quality of the food or its value for any particular purposes. Some of the food distributed at the Grand Rapids Community College Food Pantry has surpassed its “best by” consumption date. The USDA states that “best if used by or before” date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.
- By signing below, I release Grand Rapids Community College, and the original donor from any liability or harm (including injury or death) or losses in connection with the food or supplies I have received. I assume any risks and covenant not to sue the released parties with respect to such harm or losses.
- I understand that the Grand Rapids Community College Food Pantry operates on limited funds and by support of others. I will only request and take items that I reasonably expect myself and/or my family to use. I understand that this is a volunteer program run by donations. We cannot guarantee that we will have food available, but we can suggest additional locations/resources."
How to Donate
Our Food and Snack Pantries rely on the community’s support to keep running. Donations (see the Pantry List for examples,) can be dropped off at the Student Life Office, bought from the Amazon Wish List, or you can donate designated funds online or in person at the GRCC Foundation Office. Don’t forget to list GRCC as a recipient for Amazon Smiles!
Items the pantry is in need of:
- Cans of Fish*
- Cans of Chicken*
- Canned Stew
- Canned Chili
- Pork and Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Peanut Butter*
- Tomato/Tomato Sauce
- Instant Potatoes
- Canned Fruits*
- Fruit Cups
- Dried Fruits
- Juice Boxes
- Macaroni and Cheese*
- Cans of Ravioli/SpaghettiO’s*
- Hamburger Helper
- Boxed Meals*
- Microwaveable Non-Frozen Meals*
- Boxes of Cereal*
- Instant Oatmeal (individual packets) *
- Cereal Bars
- Pancake Mix
- Pop Tarts
- Muffin Mix
On the Go/Snacks
- Tortilla Chips
- Granola Bars*
- Microwave Popcorn
- Easy Mac*
- Microwaveable Non-Frozen Meals*
- Fruit Snacks/Rolls*
- Juice Boxes*
- Hand Soap*
- Bar Soap
- Toilet Paper*
- Feminine Hygiene
- Laundry Detergent
- Dryer Sheets
- Diapers/Wipes (All Sizes)*
*Indicates high demand items