We are seeking students to serve as an advisory group for the staff and faculty who are responsible for implementing the First Scholars rewards program. We want your input! Review the job description below and, if you think you fit the bill, apply through Student Employment Services.
Position type: work study/student assistant
Hours: 2-4 hours per week
- Welcome First Scholars (first-time, first-year students) and guests to campus.
- Serve as a resource and peer support to first year students as it relates to easing their transition into college.
- Work closely with office staff and other First Scholar Ambassadors to promote campus activities and events including student development workshops and community service opportunities.
- Be responsive to questions regarding First Scholars and general campus information.
- Assist in delivering presentations regarding First Scholars program, services, and student incentives.
- Serve as a member of an advisory group on First Scholars issues for faculty and staff who are responsible for implementing First Scholars rewards program.
- Experience as a First Scholar required.
- Must be in enrolled in at least 12 credits in both fall and winter semesters.
- Must have completed at least one semester at Grand Rapids Community College as a full-time student (12 or more credits).
- Seeking a degree from GRCC preferred but not required.
- Be outgoing in meeting, greeting, and educating students, parents, faculty, and staff about First Scholars.
- Exhibit strong communication skills and ability to work effectively with people of all ages, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Project a professional image and appearance.
- Excellent command of the English language, both oral and written.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions (Word, Excel, e-mail, etc.) and campus software (Online Student Center, e-mail, Blackboard, OrgSync, etc.).
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Genuine desire to assist others with development of successful educational habits and practices.