GRCC First Scholars Ambassadors serve as an advisory group for the staff and faculty who are responsible for implementing the GRCC First Scholars rewards program.
Position type: work study/student assistant
Hours: 2-4 hours per week
- Welcome GRCC First Scholars (first-time, first-year students) and guests to campus.
- Serve as a resource and peer support to first year students as it relates to easing their transition into college.
- Work closely with office staff and other GRCC First Scholars Ambassadors to promote campus activities and events including student development workshops and community service opportunities.
- Be responsive to questions regarding GRCC First Scholars and general campus information.
- Assist in delivering presentations regarding GRCC First Scholars program, services, and student incentives.
- Serve as a member of an advisory group on GRCC First Scholars issues for faculty and staff who are responsible for implementing GRCC First Scholars rewards program.
- Experience as a GRCC First Scholar required.
- Must be in enrolled in at least 12 credits in both fall and winter semesters.
- Must have completed at least one semester at Grand Rapids Community College as a full-time student (12 or more credits).
- Seeking a degree from GRCC preferred but not required.
- Be outgoing in meeting, greeting, and educating students, parents, faculty, and staff about GRCC First Scholars.
- Exhibit strong communication skills and ability to work effectively with people of all ages, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Project a professional image and appearance.
- Excellent command of the English language, both oral and written.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions (Word, Excel, e-mail, etc.) and campus software (Online Student Center, e-mail, Blackboard, RaiderConnect, etc.).
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Genuine desire to assist others with development of successful educational habits and practices.