GRCC's Bob & Aleicia Woodrick Center for Equity and Inclusion presents the 20th Annual Latino Youth Conference "The Power of Dreams" (El Poder De Soñar), Tuesday, March 5, 2019, 9 a.m.- 2 p.m., Grand Rapids Community College Gerald R. Ford Fieldhouse.
The Latino Youth Conference was created to encourage and motivate all youth to strive for educational excellence. It is our hope that this conference helps students to realize that higher education is a vehicle for a successful future.
The Latino Youth Conference Committee invites you to share your expertise and invest in our community’s youth by submitting a workshop proposal for the 20th Annual Latino Youth Conference. The conference seeks to encourage and motivate West Michigan 8th grade middle school students to look beyond the goal of high school graduation to higher education.
The conference is free and open to all interested 8th grade students.
For student registration questions please contact Julie Mushing, email@example.com.
Latino Youth Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded in the amount of $1,000 to seniors in high school (see sidebar for cover, application and recommendation form).
- Senior (class of 2019)
- Actively attending high school
- Be of Hispanic Heritage
- Fall under one of the following categories:
- Academic Achievement (GPA of 3.0 and above)
- Academic Progress (GPA of 2.00-2.99)
Since 2001, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) has published six editions of the National Directory of Scholarships, Internships, and Fellowships for Latino Students. This was the only publication in the United States that provided a comprehensive list of scholarships, internships, and fellowships targeting Latino youth.
We invite you to encourage your Kent ISD students 8th grade and up to participate in the annual Latino Youth Conference Student Art Contest. This contest is open to all Kent ISD students 8th grade and up who would like to submit their one-dimensional art work.
The purpose of the contest is to recognize student artwork which focuses on Latino culture and heritage and to build excitement for higher education.
The Latino Youth Conference Planning Committee will select three winners from the pool of entries. The winning artwork will be used for conference materials. The conference will be held on Tuesday, March 5, 2019, at the Grand Rapids Community College Ford Fieldhouse.
Guidelines for artwork
- The one dimensional artwork should reflect the theme of the conference; “The Power of Dreams” or “El poder de soñar”
- Open to all Kent ISD students 8th grade and up
- The image should be colorful and reflect something that is common to all the various Latino cultures and heritages
- Include on the back of artwork: Student name, school, school mailing address, teacher email address and phone number
- Art entries need to be submitted no later than December 1: GRCC, Woodrick Center, 140 Ransom Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503