Sept. 29, 2022, GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Grand Rapids Community College’s Communications team earned top honors from a national college and communications and marketing organization for efforts including sharing how the Michigan Reconnect program can transform lives.
The award was among 17 Medallion Awards earned by GRCC and presented by the National Council for Marketing and Public Relations District 3, which includes community, technical and junior colleges in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and the Canadian province of Ontario.
The GRCC team earned seven Gold Medallions, six silver awards and four bronze awards, presented Wednesday at the organization’s conference in Chicago.
“It’s an honor to tell the stories of GRCC students, colleagues and programs,” Communications Director Dave Murray said. “They inspire us to do our best, and we hope their stories inspire others to start an educational journey that will change their lives.”
The Communications Department is part of the GRCC College Advancement team, directed by Dr. Kathryn Mullins, vice president for College Advancement and executive director of the GRCC Foundation.
The Michigan Reconnect awareness campaign included student profiles that were highlighted by the state government and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, social media campaigns, outdoor advertising and other materials telling people about the program, which covers the cost of in-state tuition for residents age 25 and older.
The GRCC Foundation’s Annual Report was among the Gold Medallion winners. It’s the third year in a row the annual report, which shares how students and the greater community benefit from foundation support, has earned a top NCMPR honor.
GRCC also earned:
- A Gold Medallion for flyers sharing how the TRIO Educational Opportunities connect students with college resources
- A Gold Medallion for the 2022 Commencement program.
- A Gold Medallion for a poster promoting “Eurdyice,” a performance by the GRCC Players.
- A Gold Medallion for the “You Think You Know GRCC” television ad, a collaboration with the GRCC Media Technologies team.
- A Gold Medallion in the Special Event or Fundraising Campaign for “One Day, Four Ribbons Cut,” last year’s celebration of the renovations to Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall, the Wisner-Bottrall Applied Technology Center, Steven C. Ender Hall and the Custer Alumni House.
- A Silver Medallion for holiday cards that highlight students in the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education’s retail baking class.
- A Silver Medallion for the college’s two viewbooks.
- A Silver Medallion for the new package students receive when they are accepted to GRCC.
- A Silver Medallion for the design of the mural on the first floor of Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall.
- A Silver Medallion in the long-form writing category for a profile of former cross country assistant coach Stephanie Thomas, who returned to GRCC as 27-year-old, joined the cross country team, became an All-American who set a school record that still stands.
- A Silver Medallion for the @grandrapidscc Instagram account.
- A Bronze Medallion for an e-card telling donors about the Armen Oudmedian Consecutive Giving Club.
- A Bronze Medallion for the design of the grcc.edu website.
- A Bronze Medallion for the design of a logo for the Secchia Institute’s team participating in the NASA HUNCH competition.
- A Bronze Medallion in the short-form writing category for sharing the story of Seth Noyes, a student who was motivated to succeed after being placed on academic suspension.