The Early Childhood Learning Laboratory (ECLL) is a learning environment for college students enrolled in the Child Development curriculum. These students engage in activities with the children under the supervision of highly qualified teachers in a model early childhood program.
The ECLL is a unique environment. We seek to engage each child's interests and personal gifts with a weekly schedule full of language arts, music and movement, creative arts activities, as well as challenging science and math games. We use HighScope's curriculum in all of our classrooms and assess using the Child Observation Record. In addition to this, we implement a screener within the first 30 days, using either the Brigance Early Childhood Screener for our preschoolers and the Ages and Stages for our infants and toddlers.
Students in the Education programs will gain experience working with infants, toddlers and preschoolers. As appropriate for the age group, they will plan, organize and implement activities in the following areas: art, language arts, music, science, math, cooking, games, physical activities and dramatic play.
Resources for students who are parents
If you have a child between the ages of 3 and 5 and meet the following criteria, please call Jeanne at (616) 234-4004 to see if you might qualify for one of our preschool openings!
- You must be Pell Grant Eligible
- You must be enrolled in a GRCC program that leads directly to a high wage, high demand, or high skill career upon graduation.
- Early Learning Neighborhood Collaborative
- Early Head Start
- 3-year old preschool program
- Kent ISD GSRP Program
- 4-year old preschool program
- Apply for Michigan's Great Start Readiness Program
- Early Childhood Learning Laboratory Family Handbook
- NAEYC for Families