The Early Childhood Learning Laboratory (ECLL) is a learning environment for college students enrolled in the Child Development curriculum. These students engage in activities with the children under the supervision of highly qualified teachers in a model early childhood program.
Students in the Education programs will gain experience working with infants, toddlers and preschoolers. As appropriate for the age group, they will plan, organize and implement activities in the following areas: art, language arts, music, science, math, cooking, games, physical activities and dramatic play.
About the Center
The ECLL is a unique environment. We seek to engage each child's interests and personal gifts with a weekly schedule full of language arts, music and movement, creative arts activities, as well as challenging science and math games. We use HighScope's curriculum in all of our classrooms and assess using the Child Observation Record. In addition to this, we implement a screener within the first 30 days, using either the Brigance Early Childhood Screener for our preschoolers and the Ages and Stages for our infants and toddlers.
Due to COVID the hours have changed, we are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Registration fee: $65 per child
The child will need a physical examination before admission and be up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Woodland (Infants) - 6 weeks to 16 months
- River 16 months to 29 months
- Lake (Early Head Start) - 0-3 years of age
- Beach - 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years of age
- Meadow - 3 years of age
- Marsh - (GSRP) - 4 years of age
- Dune - (GSRP) - 4 years of age
Curriculum & Assessment
We use the HighScope curriculum throughout our center.
"Active Learning is at the center of the HighScope curriculum. It's the foundation where young children gain knowledge through their natural play and interactions with the environment, events and other people."
The HighScope Wheel of Learning includes a focus on the following: Adult-Child Interaction, Learning Environment, Schedules and Routines and finally Observation.
Every child is assessed using the online assessment tool, COR Advantage.
- $284 per week for Infants (part-time is not available for this age group)
- $278 per week for Toddlers (part-time is not available for this age group)
- $237 per week for Preschool, Full-time
- $65 per day for full-day Preschool, two-day minimum
- $65 Registration, per child
Resources for students who are parents
If you have a child between the ages of 3 and 5 and meet the following criteria, please call Jeanne at (616) 234-4004 to see if you might qualify for one of our preschool openings!
- You must be Pell Grant Eligible
- You must be enrolled in a GRCC program that leads directly to a high wage, high demand, or high skill career upon graduation.