Our opportunity to celebrate the excellence of what we do every day.
100+ years of quality education
For more than 100 years, GRCC has proudly held a higher education quality assurance accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
The HLC reviews higher education institutions across the United States based on five criteria. For each criteria, the institution must submit a narrative document that details supporting evidence for how GRCC meets each of the following:
- Criterion 1. Mission: "The institution’s mission is clear and articulated publicly; it guides the institution’s operations."
- Criterion 2. Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct: "The institution acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible."
- Criterion 3. Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support: "The institution provides quality education, wherever and however its offerings are delivered."
- Criterion 4. Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement: "The institution demonstrates responsibility for the quality of its educational programs, learning environments, and support services, and it evaluates their effectiveness for student learning through processes designed to promote continuous improvement."
- Criterion 5. Institutional Effectiveness, Resources and Planning: "The institution’s resources, structures, processes, and planning are sufficient to fulfill its mission, improve the quality of its educational offerings, and respond to future challenges and opportunities."
GRCC's HLC Reaffirmation Committees
GRCC's HLC Reaffirmation Steering Committee and Criterion Subcommittees include nearly 80 faculty and staff members. Each member serves on one of five subcommittees dedicated to HLC's five criteria for accreditation. Each subcommittee is required to submit a narrative document that details supporting evidence for how GRCC meets the five HLC Criteria. The teams are led by the faculty and staff members listed below.
- Steering Committee: Bill Faber & Ann Isackson
- Criterion 1 Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Eric Mullen & Jennifer Batten
- Criterion 2 Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Dillon Carr & Lisa Radak
- Criterion 3 Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Erin Busscher & Robin Sterk
- Criterion 4 Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Holly Christopher & Dan Sullivan
- Criterion 5 Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Sophia Brewer & Vicki Janowiak
Countdown to the HLC Comprehensive Evaluation Visit
Days days until HLC Comprehensive Evaluation Visit
The HLC's next comprehensive evaluation visit to GRCC is March 25-26, 2024.
"HLC Ready" - digital credentialing initiative
Learning Day 2024 will mark the debut of TLDE's new digital credentialing initiative. Attendees who complete the morning workshop session on the HLC Criteria will earn the Learning Day 2024 "HLC Ready" badge. This badge recognizes earners' work to prepare for the HLC visit in March and demonstrates GRCC's readiness for this milestone.