Our program graduates are ready to enter the workforce as trained leaders in public service and protection.
The program curriculum was developed by the Michigan Sheriffs' Coordinating and Training Council (MISCTC) to focus your learning experience on job-based training and education.
Through hands-on training, demonstration and lecture, you will gain the knowledge and expertise necessary to serve in corrections, or strengthen your existing skillset, including:
- Booking and intake
- Correctional law
- Cultural diversity
- Custody and security
- Fire safety, first aid and CPR
- Interpersonal communication
- Prisoner behavior
- Report writing
- Stress management
- Subject control and defense tactics
- Suicide awareness
- Workplace harassment
This program is designed to provide the credits and skills necessary for certification by the Michigan Sheriff's Coordinating and Training Council (MSCTC). A comprehensive exam is taken at the end of the program. Graduates who wish to pursue corrections in other states should review the certification requirements for each state.
We understand that life is busy outside of school; our four-week academy is packed with the curriculum and real-world experiences that reflect the work that corrections officers perform on a daily basis.
Our class schedule is Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., with an hour break each day for lunch.
Our academy was created to meet the needs of our local industry partners who anticipate mass retirements in the field of local corrections. Although our program was designed with local employment needs in mind, you will be prepared for a career anywhere in the state of Michigan.
Steps to Apply
All students may apply for general admission to GRCC, but prior to applying for the academy, each candidate will need to pass the Local Corrections Officer Physical Ability Test (LCOPAT), Empco Test and background test. This is to assure that you will be able to successfully transition into employment opportunities after graduating from the academy.
1. Visit www.grcc.edu/apply.
- If you are applying as a degree-seeking student outside of this program, select Corrections, which is the A.A.A.S. degree option, when prompted to enter your Academic Plan on the application form.
- If you are applying solely for the program certificate, select that you are "degree-seeking" on the application, and when prompted to search for your Academic Plan, scroll to "GRCC Degree/Certificate," select "Corrections, Sheriff's Academy Certificate."
2. Fill out our interest form and will contact you directly at your GRCC email address.
Let us know if you would like to learn more about the Sheriff's Corrections Academy: