Skip to main content

How to Use Your VA Education Benefits

How to receive your VA benefits

Veterans and eligible dependents must:

  1. Already be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at GRCC.
  2. Apply for VA education benefit through the U.S. Veterans Affairs Office.
    • If approved, the VA will mail you a certificate of eligibility in approximately 30 days. You must provide a copy of this certificate to your Veteran Benefits Certifying Official at GRCC.

Guest students

If you are a guest student requesting VA certification, your home school must complete and forward a parent institution letter to GRCC, indicating that the courses you are taking at GRCC will satisfy the degree requirements at their school.

Transfer students

If you are transferring to GRCC and are already receiving your VA benefits, you must Complete and submit Change Place of Training/Program form 22-1995 or Dependent Change of Place of Training/Program form 22-549. Go to

Using your VA benefits at GRCC

Students that have provided a copy of their certificate of eligibility will be able to see a college financing plan sheet in their online center that indicates estimated cost and estimated benefits based on the chapter benefit indicated in their online center account.

Your first semester requirements

  • Apply to the college
  • Apply for scholarships through academic works or financial aid by submitting your FAFSA
  • Submit prior transcripts
  • Provide your certificate of eligibility (COE) letter. This will be mailed from the VA when the application has been processed (usually takes 4-6 weeks). You do not have to wait for this to start your education. You can get started by providing a copy of the confirmation page of your application for benefits.
  • Sign Veterans Responsibility Form
  • Complete Record of Previous Education and Training
  • New Student Veteran Checklist

Each Month: Verify your enrollment

  • Chapter 30, 33 and 1606 students must verify their enrollment monthly. Payments will not be sent until this is done.
  • Verify online through Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE).
  • Verify by Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at (877) 823-2378.

After your first semester

Submit a Veterans Continued Enrollment form each semester.

Helpful links

GI Bill®

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at