Important Phone Numbers
GRCC Police (Emergency)
4911 (college phones)
(616) 234-4911 (other phones)
GRCC Police (non-emergency)
4010 (college phones)
(616) 234-4010 (other phones)
Local Fire or Police Department
Ottawa County Sheriff (non-emergency)
Ottawa County Sheriff (Emergency)
911 (GRCC Lakeshore Campus phones)
Poison Control Center
- Call GRCC Police 4911 or push the GRCC Police button on any campus phone.
- Call 911 from a GRCC Lakeshore Campus phone or other phone.
- Provide location, nature of the emergency and known medical conditions.
- Remain with the person.
- Do not physically confront the person.
- Do not let anyone into a locked or card access building or room.
- Call GRCC Police at 4911 (GRCC Lakeshore Campus call 911), provide the following:
- Your name.
- What is the problem?
- Where is the problem?
- Description of person.
- Type of weapon, if any.
- Your current location.
- Stay on the line until told to hang up.
- Remember: RUN, HIDE, FIGHT.
- Get Out/Evacuate if at all possible.
- Shelter in Place - Lock/Barricade doors.
- Take Aggressive Action as last resort.
- Call GRCC Police at (616) 234-4911 or 911 (GRCC Lakeshore Campus call 911) when safe to do so.
- Document date and time.
- Document where the call originated (displayed on caller ID where available).
- Write down exactly what was said, be specific.
- Note the age of the caller (sound of caller, young, very young, old, etc.).
- Listen for background noises, or sounds, such as music, children, etc.
- Call GRCC Police at (616) 234-4911 (GRCC Lakeshore Campus call 911), immediately.
- For up-to-date weather information, review the NOAA Weather Forecast
- Emergency announcements may come through:
- Classroom/office phone speakers.
- Email announcements.
- RAVE Text message.
- Automated phone calls.
- Upon notification proceed to posted shelter area.
- Use the stairs in case of power outage.
- Stay away from windows and glass.
- Remain alert and be prepared to evacuate to shelter area.
Building Evacuation Procedures
When evacuation is necessary:
- Follow evacuation routes to nearest exit or stairwell.
- DO NOT use elevators.
- Take personal belongings.
- Assist people with disabilities.
- Proceed at least 300 feet from the building or as far as necessary for safety.
- Immediately notify GRCC Police at 4911.
- Emergency lighting will come on.
- If in a lab turn off gas burners and equipment.
- Wait for instructions via emergency phone alert, or RAVE.
Fire or Smoke
- Never assume a fire alarm is false. If alarm is activated, you must evacuate.
- If necessary activate the nearest fire alarm pull station.
- Alert others of the danger and need to evacuate.
- Shut down all hazardous equipment and gas valves in the area.
- Immediately exit the building, closing doors between you and the fire.
- When safe call GRCC Police or 911 (GRCC Lakeshore Campus call 911) with location and nature of the fire.
- Notify emergency personnel if you know of people who are still in the building.
- Remain outside until notified by Authorities.
If Caught In Smoke
- Drop and crawl toward an exit if possible.
- Breathe slowly using a towel or shirt as a filter.
- If trapped, close doors and wedge cloth material under doors to keep smoke out.
- Use windows to notify responders.
- Break windows as a last resort as they cannot be closed if necessary.
When To Use An Extinguisher
Only use an extinguisher if:
- You have been trained.
- The fire is small.
- You are not alone.
- You have an escape route.
- If not, close the door and evacuate.
An extinguisher can be used to suppress a fire that blocks your exit from the building.
Remember PASS; Pull the pin, Aim the extinguisher hose at the base of the fire, Squeeze the lever, Sweep from side to side.