February 4, 2022, GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The introduction of Grand Rapids Community College’s first-ever Young Alumni Award winner, breakfast with presidents, and basketball games against rivals Kalamazoo Valley Community College are among the week of activities featured in this year’s Homecoming.
While a number of the activities are taking place remotely, others will be conducted in person with wellness protocols as the campus faces challenges created by the pandemic.
“There is truly something for everyone in this year’s Homecoming celebration,” said Lina Blair, director of the Office of Student Life. “We’re proud of who we are and what we do at GRCC. It’s exciting to recognize our alumni – and our future alumni – with activities that are fun, informative, and inspirational.”
Additional information is available at grcc.edu/homecoming.
Friday, Feb. 11:
- It’s Spirit Day! Employees, students, alumni, families, and even pets are encouraged to show their spirit by wearing your GRCC attire. Take individual or team photos for a chance to win prizes.
Monday, Feb. 14:
- GRCC’s first-ever Young Alumni Award winner will be announced on social media. The GRCC Foundation is honoring alumni age 40 and younger, highlighting accomplishments and sharing inspiring stories about how a GRCC education is vitally important to launch educational journeys and careers.
- A virtual Student Organization Mixer is planned for 2-4 p.m. Representatives from groups across campus will be available using REMO and will share information about opportunities and activities. Registration is available here.
Tuesday, Feb. 15:
- Have breakfast with GRCC President Bill Pink, Student Alliance President Brendan Burke, and other student leaders. Grab-and-go meals will be available between 9 and 10:30 a.m. on the fourth floor of Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall.
- Get vaccinated or boosted. We’re all fighting the pandemic together. GRCC’s latest vaccination and booster clinic is planned for 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the fourth floor of Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall.
- We’re celebrating leaders, events and opportunities during Black History Month. The GRCC Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is hosting a virtual keynote address at 6 p.m. featuring LaTosha Brown. She is a 2019 fellow with The Institute of Politics at Harvard University, is an award-winning organizer, philanthropic consultant, political strategist, and jazz singer with over 20 years of experience working in the non-profit and philanthropy sectors on a wide variety of issues related to political empowerment, social justice, economic development, leadership development, wealth creation, and civil rights. Details about registration are available here.
Wednesday, Feb. 16
- Employees are invited to a Winter Warm-up presented by the GRCC Human Resources Department. Three kinds of soup will be available as a grab-and-go meal between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at Sneden Hall Room 103 and Student Center Room 234.
- Students can participate in a BINGO night sponsored by the Campus Activities Board in the Raider Grill between 5:30 and 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 17
- Leslie Tassell M-TEC employees are invited to a Winter Warm-up presented by the GRCC Human Resources Department. Three kinds of soup will be available as a grab-and-go meal between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. at the M-TEC.
Friday, Feb. 18
- It’s Spirit Day! Show your Raider Pride by wearing your GRCC attire. The winner of the Raider Spirit photo contest will be announced.
- Raiders on Ice! GRCC students, employees and alumni are invited to skate for free between 5 and 10 p.m. at Griff’s Ice House Address: 30 Coldbrook St NE in Grand Rapids.
Saturday, Feb. 19
- The Big Game! The GRCC men’s and women’s basketball teams are taking on the rivals at Kalamazoo Valley Community College. The action will be available for viewing online. The women’s team tips off at 1 p.m., with the men’s team starting at 3 p.m.