Current Students

There are many services available for current students working with Disability Support Services. 

Academic Advising

Program participants will receive advice on what classes they need and should take each semester.

Priority Registration

Program participants have the opportunity to register the first day registration opens.

Sign Language Interpreting

The services of a qualified sign language interpreter are available to hearing impaired and deaf students. To insure that interpreting arrangements can be made in a timely manner, we ask that requests for this service be made as early as possible. Two or more weeks in advance would be optimal. Because of the shortage of qualified/certified interpreters, it may be necessary for students in need of an interpreter to be flexible in scheduling classes to maximize the services of the interpreters.

In addition to classroom interpreting, students may request interpreting services for tutoring sessions and college sponsored special events and occasions.

When students have to be absent from class they must notify DSS staff as early as possible, and the particular interpreter whenever practical.

All students will be evaluated on their use of such services. If a student is not using this service responsibly, a conference will be held with the student at which time written recommendations for improvement will be made. Should a second conference with the student be necessary, modification and/or reduction in interpreting services may result.


Individualized peer tutoring may be requested through the Academic Support Center by all GRCC students and is based on tutor availability.

Students are encouraged to take advantage of GRCC Tutorial Labs that provide drop-in assistance.

Alternative Text

Students who provide documentation for alternative textbooks should request alternative text immediately after registering for classes. After obtaining the list a request can be made by completing the Alternative Textbook Request Form.

Please contact textbook Coordinator Becky Allington right away if you make adjustments to your schedule.

Disability Testing Services

DSS Test Request Form for Grand Rapids Campus


Note-taking services to supplement classroom notes are provide to qualified students. The note taker is a binder that holds paper that is carbonized to produce a duplicate. The binder and paper are provided without cost to the student.

Each student enlists another student in the class to take notes using system. If necessary, a recommendation may be sought from the instructor as to selection of a student note taker. Students who act as note takers do so on a volunteer basis.

Employment Preparation

Student will be directed to the Student Employment Office for assistance with employment preparation. Throughout the job search process, direction and advice from the Disability Support Service counselor/advisor will be available.

Transportation Information

A State of Michigan Handicapped Parking Permit entitles students access to designated handicapped parking areas.

Students can also utilize public transportation through the Interurban Transit Partnership (ITP) or "The Rapid" including the use of GO-Bus Rapid's special lift equipped transportation vehicle, which offers door-to-door service.

Community Agency Referrals

Referrals may be made to area organizations who may provide additional support. Organizations include:  private counseling and support groups, Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Social Service Agencies, as well as other college services such as the Career Development Services, Financial Aid and Counseling, Advising and Retention Department.

Accessible Furniture Requests

Any student who requires a certain type of furniture to make the learning environment more accessible for them due to a disability need to register with Disability Support Services. After registration, the student needs to fill out the Accessible Request Form  at least 14 days before the first day of class in which the accessible furniture will be needed. This form will allow your Disability Support Counselor/Advisor to work with the Facilities Department to place the necessary furniture. Please indicate if there is a classroom that you don't need the accessible furniture placed.