The Michigan Coalition for Accelerated Healthcare Pathways (MCAHP) is leading efforts to increase the capacity and responsiveness of Michigan community colleges in providing a pipeline of skilled workers, and upskilling those already in healthcare, to address the needs of employers.
By investing in the workforce, this program will:
- Identify gaps in existing education/training programs, systems and infrastructure.
- Increase and improve employer engagement.
- Enhance career pathway programs and accelerated learning strategies.
- Strategically align with and create innovative system changes in Workforce Development.
- Bridge high school/career tech programming to post-secondary institutions
Health occupations are in high demand
The demand for workers in health careers is the fastest growing industry sector in the State of Michigan, especially in Allied Health. Allied health professionals are involved with the delivery of health or related services such as the identification, evaluation, and prevention of diseases and disorders, dietary and nutrition services, rehabilitation and health systems management, among others. It is predicted that the demand for healthcare workers will grow nearly twice as fast as the national economy. The need is so great and varies among careers.
Through the Michigan Coalition for Accelerated Healthcare Pathways (MCAHP), strategic thinking is being put into creating vital education and training to meet the varied demand. Led by Grand Rapids Community College, the coalition is addressing barriers and building capacity to deliver online, hybrid training, and apprenticeships to those interested in entering the field of Allied Health.
What GRCC offers
GRCC has a long history of providing exceptional education opportunities in the professions of Nursing, Radiology Technician, Occupational Therapy, and Dental Technician and Hygienists. In recent years, GRCC has expanded its offerings to include more Allied Health pathways.
These programs include:
- Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) Training Program
- Neurodiagnostic - EEG Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Phlebotomy Skills for Healthcare/Hybrid
- Sterile Processing
What's happening now
New programs have been, and continue to be, developed through the MCAHP Strengthening Community College program. Most recent programs include:
- Surgical Tech Apprenticeships, May 2022
- Cardiovascular Tech Apprenticeship, Fall 2022
- Patient Care/Direct Care Tech, 2023
- Anesthesia Technologist, 2023
- Continuing education offerings in healthcare
What is the best way to get involved?
MCAHP needs you – Healthcare and long-term care employers
If you would like to connect to programs, students, training, or have input into the development of future programs, please contact Lorena Aguayo-Márquez, SCC Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allegan County Mental Health
- Ascension Michigan
- Cherry Health
- Holland Home
- Holt Senior Care
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- McLaren Greater Lansing
- Mercy Health
- Metro Health/U of M Health West
- Northeast Michigan Community
- Mental Health Authority
- Sparrow Health System
- Spectrum Health
Workforce System Partners
- Capital Area Michigan Works!
- Oakland County Michigan Works!
- Michigan Works! Northeast Consortium
- West Michigan Works!
- Alpena Community College
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Lansing Community College
- Muskegon Community College
- Oakland Community College
- Michigan Community College Association
- Kent Intermediate School District
This workforce product was funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor(DOL)’s Employment and Training Administration (ETA). The product was created by the recipient and does not necessarily reflect the official position of DOL/ETA. DOL/ETA makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability or ownership. This product is copyrighted by the institution that created it.