How to Prepare
- Bring transcripts or be prepared to email them to the advisor (official or unofficial) from any other college or university you attended.
- Prepare questions for the advisor. (See examples below)
- Please check your student email for the appointment confirmation email with instructions that will be sent to your GRCC email address. You will have the option of calling the advisor or doing a video zoom at the time of your appointment.
- Be prepared with note taking materials for your appointment.
- If your appointment is zoom or by phone please be in a space appropriate for an advising appointment if possible. (Not driving, or grocery shopping)
What to expect
- Expect to discuss your academic performance and courses taken.
- General advising appointments are 30 mins- the advisor is unable to exceed this time.
- If you are 15 mins late for your appointment you will need to reschedule.
- If you scheduled a phone appointment the advisor will call you at the time of your appointment.
- As a student you are responsible for enrolling in courses. Your advisor will only register your classes if you have a registration hold.
Questions to ask during your advising appointment
How do I:
- choose, declare or change my major?
- calculate/raise my GPA?
- determine the number of credits I should take each semester?
- know when I have fulfilled the requirements to graduate?
When do I:
- plan for my next semester/Year?
- apply for graduation?
- talk to an advisor about transferring?
Where do I:
- go for tutoring?
- go for testing services?
- find course transfer equivalencies?
- the MTA program? and how can it help me?
- the difference between the transfer guide and catalog? and which one should I use?
- concurrent enrollment?
- help me identify my career interests?
- help me with my study skills, time management, goal setting and test taking methods?
- I talk to if I have a learning disability?
- make sure I'm taking the right courses?
- assist me with my writing?