How to Prepare
- Bring transcripts or be prepared to email them to the advisor (official or unofficial) from any other college or university you attended.
- Prepare questions for the advisor. (See examples)
- Please check your student email for the appointment confirmation email with instructions that will be sent to your GRCC email address. If you chose a virtual appointment, you will have the option of calling the advisor or doing a video zoom at the time of your appointment.
- Be prepared with note taking materials for your appointment.
- If your appointment is zoom or by phone please be in a space appropriate for an advising appointment if possible. (Not driving, or grocery shopping)
What to expect
- Expect to discuss your academic performance and courses taken.
- Depending on the appointment type, appointment time duration varies.
- If you are 15 mins late for your appointment you will need to reschedule.
- As a student you are responsible for enrolling in courses. Your advisor will only register your classes if you have a registration hold.
Questions to ask during your advising appointment
How do I:
- choose, declare or change my major?
- calculate/raise my GPA?
- determine the number of credits I should take each semester?
- know when I have fulfilled the requirements to graduate?
When do I:
- plan for my next semester/Year?
- apply for graduation?
- talk to an advisor about transferring?
Where do I:
- go for tutoring?
- go for testing services?
- find course transfer equivalencies?
- the MTA program and how can it help me?
- the difference between the transfer guide and catalog? and which one should I use?
- concurrent enrollment?
- help me identify my career interests?
- help me with my study skills, time management, goal setting and test taking methods?
- I talk to if I have a learning disability?
- make sure I'm taking the right courses?
- assist me with my writing?