Skip to main content

Financial Requirements

In order to receive the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility necessary to obtain an F-1 visa, you must be able to provide proof of adequate financial resources.

Adequate financial resources show that you are able to pay for at least one academic year and have access to future funds that will allow you to complete a program or prepare for transfer. These funds must be available for the duration of your study without scholarships or on-campus employment earnings.

International Student Cost Estimates Per Academic Year

Expense Cost in USD

Tuition: 30 credit hours at $359.00 per contact hour*


Room and Board




Books and Supplies


Personal/Living Expenses




*International students pay Out of State tuition rates unless you obtain permanent resident status.

Required Documentation

Acceptable financial resource documentation includes:

If you are self-sponsored, or sponsored by a host family or someone in your home country:

  • A statement certifying the liquid asset and availability of $24,170 USD if you are self-sponsored or sponsored by someone in your home country. If you are sponsored by a host family, a statement certifying the liquid asset and availability of $16,000 USD.

  • A statement on official letterhead confirming sufficient funds are available within six months of your enrollment start date.

  • Your statement or bank letter should be dated no more than six months before the intended enrollment start date.

  • Any documentation you feel will endorse your financial capability.

If you are sponsored by a government or employer:

  • Your sponsor must provide an official letter addressed to GRCC with your name, duration of the support and amount of funds available for each academic year.

Additional Documentation Possibly Required

  • You will need to submit original financial documentation to the U.S. Embassy for the F-1 visa application process or USCIS Change of Status applications.

  • If dependents will accompany you to the U.S., you must provide a bank statement showing the availability of $5,500 USD per adult and $3,000 USD per child, as well as a letter of support showing that the dependents’ financial needs will be covered. 

    • A birth certificate or copy of passport is needed for each dependent.

    • Proof of health insurance coverage is required for each dependent.

    • Please note that only spouses and children qualify as dependents.


Required Contact Hours and Credit Hours

Carefully read the college catalog course descriptions to determine the number of contact hours required for your program of study. F-1 visa regulations require all international students to take a minimum of 12 credit hours for Fall and Winter semesters, but please note you may pay for more contact hours (hours of scheduled instruction) than credits.


Accepted Forms of Payment

Payment of tuition and fees must be arranged by the due date and before classes begin. We do have a tuition payment plan option for eligible students.

We accept:

  • Cashier’s checks
  • Money orders
  • Visa or MasterCard

Please note that we are unable to accept electronic funds or wire transfers.


We are here to connect you with the resources you need. If you have any questions, please contact an international student advisor by calling (616) 234-3420.