Skip to main content

Emergency Housing

We’re here to help!

With limited access to campus during the COVID-19 outbreak, we want to make sure we still meet your needs. Please fill out the GET HELP contact form and a staff member will be in contact with you.

GET HELP contact and Emergency Fund intake form

GRCC resources

Grand Rapids Community College is a commuter school, so we do not offer on-campus housing. However, we are here to help you access community resources which offer assistance in times of immediate need.

Community resources

COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA)

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) will administer the COVID Emergency Rental
Assistance (CERA) Program through its network of local nonprofit agencies starting March 15, 2021. CERA can provide rental and utility assistance for eligible renter households so that they retain their housing stability.
CERA program details.

Shelter Listings

View Shelter Listings.

Although permanent housing is most likely your ultimate goal, gaining acceptance into a program may take over a year. A housing crisis can sometimes be solved in three steps:
1st Step - Emergency/Homeless Shelter,
2nd Step - Transitional Housing,
3rd Step - Permanent Affordable Housing. Resolution will vary depending on your circumstances and program availability.

Arbor Circle: Youth Services and Programs 

Arbor Circle: Youth Services and Programs and homeless youth services support young adults, ages 10-24, who are experiencing homelessness and/or are without safe and stable housing. Through counseling and other services, these young adults are engaged in a personalized process to understand their needs, build new skills, and identify and create a plan for achieving goals.

Arbor Circle: Youth Services and Programs and Street Outreach team goes out into the community to meet homeless or runaway youth where they are. Outreach staff provides basic needs and resources, builds positive relationships, and encourages youth to connect with available support systems and other community partners.

Call or text: Nikki (616) 295-6544 or Dani (616) 648-6788

A.Y.A. Youth Collective

A.Y.A. Youth Collective creates safe spaces for youth in crisis to belong, be themselves and build a future. We create circles of support for 14- to 24-year-olds facing homelessness or instability—from drop-in opportunities to rest, recharge and meet everyday needs in a caring community to safe, affordable housing with peers and mentors who partner in their transition to stability. We are here to help young people connect to the resources, relationships, and housing they need at any point on their journey. We can help with warm meals, showers, laundry, essential needs and supportive housing.

Community Rebuilders

The Community Rebuilders program requires a Housing Assessment Program referral from Salvation Army to be eligible for assistance. Please refer to Salvation Army’s entry for further details.* Community Rebuilders helps families and individuals who are homeless move directly into housing. Provides short-term rental assistance, but the program emphasizes the development of self-sufficiency and income growth for clients.

Covenant House

Covenant House Michigan is a faith-based nonprofit organization that provides hope to homeless, runaway and at-risk youth ages 18-24. We provide shelter, educational and vocational programs, as well as other support services, to help overcome hurdles such as homelessness, unemployment, inadequate education, violence, drugs and gangs. Our goal is to redirect them onto a path toward meaningful and successful adulthood.

Dwelling Place  

Dwelling Place  has several housing communities in West Michigan, including homes, apartments, supportive housing, and transitional housing.

Grand Rapids Housing Commission Community Partners

The Grand Rapids Housing Commission Community Partners with a large and growing list of community agencies to meet the diverse needs of the families we serve. Below is a list of Grand Rapids area emergency service contacts, followed by links to a few of the many other organizations with which we coordinate programs and services.

Heart of West Michigan United Way

Heart of West Michigan United Way, 118 Commerce Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503

Housing Assessment Program

Housing Assessment Program: If you or someone you know is experiencing a housing crisis, please contact 2-1-1 (or 1-800-887-1107). The staff at 2-1-1 will talk to you about your current situation and discuss options for assistance and support

Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)  

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) partners to provide homes and preserve places for the people of Michigan. Depending on your housing needs, click on the Rental or Homeless buttons.

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority The Eviction Diversion Program (EDP)

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority The Eviction Diversion Program (EDP) is designed to keep Michigan residents who fell behind on their rent during COVID-19 in their homes. The program utilizes a special court process to get fast rental assistance for renters who have been impacted.

The Salvation Army: Kent County

The Salvation Army: Kent County is here to connect people who are literally homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness to the best available housing resource in the community. If you or someone you know is experiencing a housing crisis, please contact 2-1-1 (or (800) 887-1107).

United Way – 211

United Way – 211 connects people to more than 2,900 services in Kent, Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Newaygo, Osceloa and Oceana Counties including food, shelter, utility assistance, disaster recovery, childcare, transportation, and more.

Find additional resources

Please consider some of the other options available to you on the GetHelp webpage as well as various options near you. The Find Help site can help you find resources and other free or reduced cost programs depending on your need.