CLEP (the College-Level Examination Program®) offers 33 exams that cover intro-level college course material. With a passing score on one CLEP exam, you could earn three or more college credits at more than 2,900 U.S. colleges and universities.
CLEP was created to help individuals with prior knowledge in a college course subject earn their degree efficiently and inexpensively. That prior learning could have taken place through advanced high school courses, independent reading and study, online courseware or textbooks, noncredit courses, or on-the-job training.
Anyone interested in earning college credit can take a CLEP exam.
Each institution sets its own policy regarding the acceptance of CLEP examinations and the amount of credits they award. Review the CLEP Equivalencies link for up-to-date information: College Board AP/CLEP Equivalency Search
If you desire to transfer CLEP credit to another institution, then it is strongly suggested you check with that institution regarding their CLEP acceptance policy prior to taking the exam. (*NOTE: If you are seeking the Michigan Transfer Agreement / MTA credential, CLEP credits are not eligible)
Effective July 1, 2019, the CLEP exam fee is $89.
The total cost to take a CLEP exam at GRCC is $109.
($89 CLEP exam fee (per exam) + $20 GRCC test administration fee (per exam)
A minimum exam score of 50 is required for credit to be awarded at Grand Rapids Community College. Check with the institution you are attending for your CLEP passing score requirements.
Exams typically take 90–120 minutes to complete depending on the subject and are administered on the computer. Students receive their CLEP exam scores immediately after completing the exam. The only exception is the College Composition, which is two hours long and takes approximately one month to receive a score through the mail.
If your school requires you to take the College Composition Modular, they must score the optional essay portion. GRCC will not score any essay exams.
Allow three weeks for CLEP scores to reach your institution.
Visit the CLEP website for test information or study guides.
CLEP exams at GRCC are offered on an appointment basis. Previously published testing days and times have been temporarily adjusted. Schedule is subject to change
Due to space limits and time requirements, an individual taking a CLEP exam will be limited to one (1) exam per visit unless prior arrangements have been made.
CLEP exam registration and payment
- Register and pay for your CLEP portion of the exam on the CLEP website, https://www.collegeboard.org/clep
Choose GRCC as your testing site during registration.
- After you complete the online registration process, print your CLEP exam registration ticket.
- An additional $20 test administration fee (per exam) is required, payable to GRCC by check or money order. The $20 GRCC test administration fee applies to each exam you take and is nonrefundable. If you reschedule your exam appointment, you will have to pay an additional $20 GRCC test administration fee for each test you reschedule.
- Bring your CLEP exam registration ticket and $20 GRCC test administration fee to your testing appointment.
Scheduling your on-campus CLEP testing appointment
- Appointment scheduling will be conducted via phone on a first come first serve basis during posted operating hours.
- Call (616) 234-3413 to make an appointment.
We are currently scheduling for the following two (2) week period: 8/11, 8/12, 8/13 and 8/17, 8/18, 8/19.
8/10/20 8/11/20 8/12/20 8/13/20 8/14/20 8/15/20 8/16/20 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Noon to 6 p.m.
8/17/20 8/18/20 8/19/20 8/20/20 8/21/20 8/22/20 8/23/20 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Noon to 6 p.m.
- Due to space limits and time requirements, an individual taking a CLEP exam will be limited to one (1) exam per visit unless prior arrangements have been made.
Exam day procedures
- The Academic Testing Center is located in room 325 of the Student Community Center and access to the center will be available through the exterior door on the corner of Lyon St and Ransom St.
- Only those individuals scheduled to test will be allowed in the building.
- You must have photo identification to be admitted to a CLEP exam.
- Bring your CLEP exam registration ticket and $20 test administration fee (payable to GRCC by check or money order).
- You will be requested to complete a GRCC health screening form before your testing session, adhere to social distancing and safety protocol guidelines, and follow personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements.
- A limited number of lockers are available for students while testing. We recommend only bringing your picture ID with you when you test.
- You will not be allowed to take anything; backpack, purse, hat, cell phone or other electronics into the testing center.
Student Safety Protocols and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements
- If you don’t feel well, you are required to stay home
- Students will be required to practice recommended social distancing.
- Face coverings are required in all campus buildings when you are in public and shared environments such as classrooms, bookstore, food service areas, library, hallways and restrooms.
- Scarves, disposable face masks or shields are all acceptable.
- If you do not have a face-covering, we will have disposable face coverings available at the Academic Testing Center.