Addiction Studies Certificate

A certificate in Addiction Studies prepares students to serve as substance abuse counselors, residential care counselors, specialists in drug or sobriety courts or to work with addicted populations as probation, parole or corrections officers. This program also enhances the skills of persons currently employed in corrections or substance abuse agencies in working with addicted populations.

Substance abuse counselors and residential aides, as well as specialty probation and parole officers, work with persons having addictive disorders in order to eliminate dependence on drugs or alcohol and reduce criminal behaviors associated with their use of drugs or alcohol. The Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP) requires that certain education and experience requirements be met in order to obtain reciprocal state certification in the areas of addiction counseling, prevention services and substance abuse assessment in the court system. Certification requires specific education coursework in drugs, alcohol, addictive populations, interviewing, counseling with diverse populations, treatment planning, criminal justice and criminology. The education coursework for credentials as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC), Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP) and Certified Peer Recovery Mentor (CPRM) and can be completed as part of an Associate Degree Program in Criminal Justice. Students are advised to discuss specific requirements with the GRCC Criminal Justice department faculty before enrolling.

Probation, parole and corrections officers working with addictive populations and residential substance abuse counselors generally are required to have a bachelor’s degree as a condition of employment. Persons working as assessment or counseling staff in a substance abuse or mental health agency may be required to have graduate education. Students interested in such work should discuss transferability of Community College work to baccalaureate degree-granting institutions with the GRCC Criminal Justice department faculty before enrolling in the program.

Certificates can be earned by completing the education requirements for the Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP), Certified Peer Recovery Mentor (CPRM) or the Certified Addictions Drug Counselor (CADC). You also may complete the requirements for all certificates. GRCC has been approved by MCBAP to provide education hours for these certificates. 

CJ 110 Introduction to Criminal Justice*
PY 201 General Psychology
CJ 243 Methods of Interviewing
CJ 245 Substance Abuse
CJ 246 Alcohol Use and Abuse
CJ 250 Addiction Recovery and Client Advocacy**
CJ 275 Addiction Treatment with Diverse Populations***

PY 231 Abnormal Psychology*
PY 232 Developmental Psychology*
CJ Elective (min. of 3)
COM 135 Interpersonal Communication


To be eligible for the program completion certificate in Addiction Studies, students must earn a minimum of “C” (2.0) in each of the required Addiction Studies courses. This applies to all coursework for the CCJP, CPRM and CADC certificates.

*If you have transferred credits from another institution, please check for transcripts to make sure program requirements are met. You must take 15 credits towards the certificate at GRCC.

*Students working towards Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor certification (CADC), should select PY 201 (you must take prior to registering for PY 231 or PY 232) as a Program Course and PY 231 or PY 232 as their Program Elective.  Students working towards the Certified Criminal Justice Professional, should select CJ 110 as their Program Course. Students working toward Certified Peer Recovery Mentor certifications must take CJ 250 even if completing the rest of program under different catalog requirements (began program prior to Fall 2006).

**Prior to registering for CJ 250 class, you must have completed CJ 245 and CJ 246 or have permission from the instructor for enrollment.

***Prior to registering for CJ 275 class, you must have completed CJ 243, CJ 245 and CJ 246 or have permission from the instructor for enrollment.