- ESL students
- Honors Students
- International students
Katie (Katherine) Hughes earned a Bachelor of Science from WMU and then completed her Master's in Counseling in Higher Education also at WMU. She has worked for Community Mental Health of MI, WMU, KVCC and GRCC during her career. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the State of Michigan.
Katie’s higher education roles have included teaching at WMU & GRCC, working with International Admissions & Programming, advising in several TRIO programs, Career Services, Disability Support & Occupational Support Services, Counseling and Academic Advising & Transfer. She is also the lead advisor to the following programs at GRCC: The Honors Program, Study Away and International Students. She is the Faculty Advisor for the International Student Organization, through Student Life. She also works with ESL students and has taken students on Alternative Spring Break trips.
Katie participated in Study Abroad while in college and enjoys travel and keeping up with friends around the world. In her free time she likes to garden/landscape, enjoy nature and spend time with her spouse, three children, two dogs & two cats.
March 2022 and April 2022 Express Advising options for assigned students
- Katie will be offering Express Advising appointments (15 minutes only) that her students can sign up for on Navigate.
- Express Advising is meant to assist students in planning classes for an upcoming semester, addressing brief questions or concerns or for urgent needs.
*If you are not sure about your major (undecided) or are looking at multiple transfer colleges or out of state colleges you will need a longer appointment & should look for career exploration or transfer planning advising times in Navigate
Week of March 21:
- Monday 3/21 9-11 a.m.
- Tuesday 3/22 99-11 a.m & 1:30-3 p.m.
Week of March 28th:
- Monday 2/28 5-7 p.m.
- Tuesday 3/29 9-11 a.m.
- Thursday 3/31 12:30-2:30 p.m.
Week of April 4th:
- Monday 4/4 2-6 p.m.
Week of April 11th:
- Wednesday 4/13 12:30-2 p.m.
- Friday 4/15 2-5 p.m.
Week of April 18th:
- Wednesday 4/20 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Additional Ways to get Help
- If you feel you need more time than 15 minutes, please consider one of the regular length appointment types that may have become available. Check for appointments here: My Appointment Times
- Email me your questions (email@example.com). Please send the email from your GRCC student account and include your name and student ID#. **Please allow several days for a reply, as my schedule is generally full of appointments and I am receiving many more emails this time of year.
- Utilize self help resources: