Grand Rapids Community College’s Medical Assistant program will prepare you to perform administrative and clinical tasks to keep health practitioner offices and clinics running smoothly. The goal of the program is to prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. The course combines classroom lecture, group activity, simulation learning, and a competency-based externship experience. You will be prepared to take the Registered Medical Assistant national certification exam through American Medical Technologists. The exam fee is included in the tuition.
Come to an information session to learn more about the program.
- You must be 18 years or older to enter this program.
Information on the West Michigan Works! Medical Assistant Apprenticeship program.
You will learn
- Billing and Coding
- Telephone Triage Skills
- Obtaining Vital Signs and Administering Injections
- Electrocardiography and CLIA Waived Testing
Our program articulates for transfer to Davenport University for the following programs/credits:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Pre-Licensure 39 credits
- BS Health Services Administration 30 credits
- BS Medical Case Management 30 credits
- ABA Business Administration BS Health Services Administration 30 credits
- AAS Medical Assisting 30 credits
Program Cost 2020/21: $7,998
- Criminal Background Check fee
- Computer Competency Assessment
- RMA National Certification Exam fee
- American Heart Association BLS CPR and Heartsaver First Aid
- Course Course textbooks
- Learning lab resources
- Facilities Maintenance Fee
Tuition does not include:
- Required Immunizations that the participant may need to complete
- WorkKeys NCRC assessment fee
- Time piece (watch or fob) with a second hand
- Clinical sites are within a 200 mile radius of GRCC’s main campus. Students may be placed at any clinical site, regardless of distance. Students are responsible for their own transportation and any cost associated with it. Clinicals may occur 1-4 times per a week. While most rotations occur weekdays between 7am-7pm, weekend and night assignments are possible.
We are pleased to be able to offer the Spectrum Health Care Professionals Education Scholarship to eligible students in the Medical Assisting program. Several scholarships will be made available, and each student could be awarded up to $3,000. For more information and directions on how to apply, attend a Healthcare Information session or contact our office (616) 234-3800.
2021 Dates TBA
Sections fill on a first come first serve basis and will be held to strict tuition due date deadlines.
The 772 hour program is designed to take 22 weeks to complete.
Our Medical Assistant Program provides students with learning opportunities that enable them to attain certification as a Medical Assistant and empowers them to succeed in a changing healthcare environment.
GRCCs Medical Assistant Program prepares individuals to take a national certification exam. Included in the cost of our program is the registration fee for the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam through American Medical Technologists (AMT). Graduates may choose to take an alternate exam such as CMA(AAMA) or the CCMA(NHA) at their own expense. The RMA(AMT) is a national certification which is accepted in all 50 states and in several countries abroad.