Early Learning Communities is a collaborative, community-based partnership to enrich the quality early learning experiences of young children by strengthening the skills of early childhood caregivers and educators. Grand Rapids Community College, First Steps and the Grand Rapids Public Schools are leading the initiative, in partnership with many other community organizations.
- Note: ELC Playgroups only run from September through June and match up with Grand Rapids Public Schools academic year. If Grand Rapids Public Schools close for inclement weather, Playgroups are canceled.
Resources and Newsletters
- Play and Learn Updates
- Play and Learn Newsletter June 3, 2020
- Play and Learn Newsletter June 3, 2020 Spanish
- Home Connection Activities May 2020
- Home Connection Activities May 2020 Spanish
How It Works:
Early Learning Communities hosts Play and Learn groups throughout Grand Rapids at a number of elementary schools and community organizations – all held during different days and times. If you are a parent or caregiver of a child between the ages of two to five, join us for this free, weekly, 90-minute program to learn about child development, early reading strategies and positive discipline. While you play with your children, you’ll get great ideas of things you can do to prepare them for success. The curriculum for the Play & Learn Groups is aligned with Michigan Department of Education expectations for kindergarten readiness. Receive free a book when you attend!
The Early Learning Communities is working with a number of community partners to continue to strengthen the relationships between children, their families and caregivers, and their schools in order to make the transition into Kindergarten as smooth, comfortable, and successful as possible.