On June 15, 2012, President Obama signed a memo calling for deferred action for certain undocumented young people who came to the U.S. as children and have pursued education or military service here. The Department of Education has issued the following information to address frequently asked questions.
Scholarship Opportunities for DACA Students
While DACA and undocumented students are not eligible to receive federal and State of Michigan financial aid funds, scholarships are available! If you are a DACA student, you may be considered for Grand Rapids Community College Foundation scholarships, as well as a number of private scholarships.
To be considered for a GRCC Foundation Scholarship, simply complete the GRCC Foundation Scholarship Application and respond “Yes” to the question: Are you part of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program? DACA students are not required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for consideration.
The GRCC Foundation Scholarship priority deadline is March 15 at midnight.
In some instances, applicants for these scholarships may be required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for consideration.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Golden Door Scholars
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)
More Scholarship Opportunities
A number of private organizations offer scholarship opportunities for DACA and undocumented students, including:
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities travel award
- MALDEF (Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund) – The Latino legal voice for civil rights in America
- National Immigration Law Center - scholarship resource listing
Grand Rapids Scholarships
- When to apply: December 1 – March 15 (late applications will be accepted)
- How to apply: Obtain application from Financial Aid Office located on the first floor of Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall, formerly Main Building, beginning in January each year.
- Applications are due by March 15 every year, for first round consideration.
- When to apply: December 1 – April 1 (apply early)
- How to apply: Complete application online at link above
- Questions? See website for FAQ answers or contact Ruth Bishop, Education Program Officer at (616) 454-1751.
Disclaimer: The information and external links in this scholarship listing are provided to Grand Rapids Community College and are reprinted here as a service to our website users. We do not administer these websites or routinely screen, approve, review, or endorse the content, products, or services that may be offered. In no event shall GRCC be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such content, goods, or services available on or through any such site or resource. Criteria may change (or may have changed) from the date posted, so inquire directly with individual programs. Some external links use social media and use of these websites is subject to privacy rules and policies of those applications and website operators.