Skip to main content

Addiction Studies Certificate

This program enhances the skills of those currently employed in corrections or substance abuse agencies who work with addicted populations.

A certificate in Addiction Studies will prepare you to work with addicted populations as a:

  • Probation, parole or corrections officer.
  • Substance abuse counselor.
  • Residential care counselor.
  • Recovery coach or peer mentor.
  • Specialist in drug or sobriety courts.

Substance abuse counselors and residential aides, as well as specialty probation and parole officers, work with persons having addictive disorders in order to eliminate dependence on drugs or alcohol and reduce criminal behaviors associated with their use of drugs or alcohol.

Certificate requirements

The Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP) requires that certain education and experience requirements be met in order to obtain reciprocal state certification in the areas of addiction counseling, prevention services and substance abuse assessment in the court system.

Certification requires specific education coursework in:

  • Drugs.
  • Alcohol.
  • Addictive populations.
  • Interviewing.
  • Counseling with diverse populations.
  • Treatment planning.
  • Criminal justice.
  • Criminology.

To be eligible for the program completion certificate in Addiction Studies, students must earn a minimum of “C” (2.0 GPA) in each of the required Addiction Studies courses. This applies to coursework for the CCJP, CPRM, and CADC certificates.

Pending approval by MCBAP, completion of the following courses will fulfill the minimum education requirements for the CCJP credential in addiction. Completion of PY 231 - Abnormal Psychology or PY 232 - Developmental Psychology in addition to the other coursework, will meet the minimum education requirements for the CADC credential in addiction from MCBAP. If you are interested in the CPRM credential, you must complete the Addiction Recovery and Client Advocacy course.

Continue to advance your career

The education coursework for credentials as a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC), Certified Criminal Justice Professional (CCJP), Certified Peer Recovery Mentor (CPRM) can be completed as part of a Criminal Justice associate degree at GRCC.

Probation, parole and corrections officers working with addictive populations, and residential substance abuse counselors, are generally required to have a bachelor’s degree. Those working as assessment or counseling staff in a substance abuse or mental health agency, may be required to have graduate education.

If you are interested in these careers, you should discuss your career goals, and build a transfer focused academic plan, with a GRCC Criminal Justice Department faculty member before you enroll in classes.

History of convictions may affect employment

Employment within the Criminal Justice field may be delayed or denied depending on a history of convictions involving felonies, misdemeanors and/or involving controlled substances.


Additional Information